I have been told that a bi-polar person cannot be qualified for plastic surgery/ Tummy tuck. Is this true? (photos)

Bipolar and tummy tuck

If you are properly medicated and your bipolar disorder is under control, there should be no reason why you could not have a tummy tuck.  If you have been told that by a friend, it is untrue.  If you have been told that by a plastic surgeon, you should seek another opinion.  Best of luck!

Sacramento Plastic Surgeon

I have been told that a bi-polar person cannot be qualified for plastic surgery/ Tummy tuck. Is this true?

Hi lasargento21,

Bipolar disorder is a form of mental illness so your surgeon must consider this when consulting you for surgery. A referral to a psychologist is often recommended, and the disorder must be under control to be considered for a cosmetic procedure. If you are given the all clear from your psychologist, you should be able to undergo surgery, as long as your plastic surgeon is confident you have realistic expectations of your outcome.

Craig

Craig Rubinstein, MBBS
Melbourne Plastic Surgeon

Bipolar and tummy tuck

Bipolar is treated like any other medical condition and is factored in when determining if you are an acceptable candidate: are you in generally good health, are any medical conditions you have under appropriate control, and lastly, do you have realistic expectations. 

I hope this helps - good luck!

It is likely that you will be able to undergo the tummy tuck procedure safely, despite the bipolar condition (assuming it is well controlled). Always best to have medical and/or psychiatric conditions under optimal control prior to proceeding. Your psychiatrist will be your best resource when it comes to specific advice/recommendations. Generally speaking, the “ideal” patient for tummy tuck surgery is one who has completed pregnancies, is psycho socially/emotionally/financially stable, has an excellent social support system surrounding him/her, is capable of arranging enough recovery time, does not smoke and who has reached a long-term stable weight.