Rippling silicone under muscle 5 months post op. Any suggestions?

Is it normal for a silicone implant to feel rippled when I am sitting down or laying down with no bra? I am 5'6 120. Have had three kids... Active. You can't see it necessarily but I feel noticeable ripples and almost a fold on the left one.

Implant rippling can be normal

I would agree that all implants can ripple or wrinkle and the thinner you are the more likely you are to feel that. Some of the more cohesive gel implants are much less likely to ripple or wrinkle.  And often times I see this in my patients that the implants become more palpable after 6 months to a year when the tissue thins a little or after weight loss.  As long as your breasts are soft, this is probably just you feeling a normal implant. The best way to know for sure is just to make follow up appointment with your surgeon as they know your body and which implant was selected.  It's rare for a silicone implant to present with a rupture with wrinkling, but a fold can mean an early capsular contracture. Best of luck. 

Ripples with silicone implants?

Though silicone implants ripple less often that saline, any implant can show signs of rippling especially in cases of thin skin and in cases where large implants are placed. It sounds like the ripples are at least not visible.  I would suggest that you discuss your concerns with your plastic surgeon.

Best wishes and good luck. 

Shayne Webb, MD

Rippling does happen

Rippling of the implant is common. If you were to take a silicone implant and put it on a table, you can see the dimples and folds from the silicone settling on the table. Some companies make implants that are highly cohesive and form stable which are more of a gummy bear consistency. Those tend to not ripple as much but may feel more firm. One reason you may feel the rippling is because you have a BMI of 19.4. Thinner patients especially those below BMI 19 are at much higher risk of rippling which you can actually see. If you can only feel the ripples, but your breasts look acceptable to you, then there is nothing to worry about. If you are still concerned and do not like the feeling, discuss with your plastic surgeon about options to exchange the implant or add tissue layer on top of the implants such as through fat grafting or biologic mesh. Regardless these surgeries are not insignificant and your surgeon may wish to wait for at least a few more months before considering any additional surgeries. 

Johnson C. Lee, MD
Beverly Hills Physician

It can happen

In thin patients rippling of even silicone implants can become obvious.  There are many recommended treatments.  However they do not always work. It is best to accept this reality and go on. 

Vasdev Rai, MD

Rippling After Breast Augmentation

Thank you very much for your question.

All implants ripple to some degree, and can certainly be felt in thin individuals.  It doesn't mean there is any problem at all.  

If you start to see the ripples and that becomes bothersome to you, you could consider switching out your implant to one that is "more cohesive", or having targeted fat grafting to thicken the tissues over the implant (some surgeons would place an acellular dermal matrix instead).  Best of luck!

Daniel Krochmal, MD
Chicago General Surgeon

Rippling silicone under muscle.

While it is true that silicone implants have less of a tendency to ripple, all implants can hav a ripple or a fold that you can feel if the breast tissue is thin. This is a normal situation and if you can't see it you don't need to worry.

Rippling

Rippling is a part of any implant however silicone do ripple less. In people with minimal coverage these ripples are more evident. Now with fat grafting, these areas can be grafted to increase coverage and minimize the ripple effect

Sergio Alvarez, MD
Miami Beach Plastic Surgeon

Rippling

Typically, there is less chance of feeling ripples with silicone implants, but all implants can have ripples. Especially if the patient is thin. Schedule an appointment to see your surgeon to discuss options such as fat grafting that might make your ripples less noticeable.
My best,
Dr. Sheila Nazarian
@drsheilanazarian on Instagram

Sheila S. Nazarian, MD

Rippling silicone under muscle 5 months post op.

Thank you for asking this question. Rippling is common and is most noticeable when you sit forward. At 5 months I think it is best to wait and follow-up with your surgeon to see what your eventual results will look like. If this continues to be a problem one option would be to switch to a more cohesive gel implant like a style 410 implant. I hope this helps.

Theodore T. Nyame MD  

Theodore Nyame, MD
Charlotte Physician

Ripples

Any breast implant, especially in thin women, can have ripples, but there is much less chance of seeing or feeling ripples with gel implants. Rippling is noticeable especially in areas of minimal breast tissue. If this rippling becomes more noticeable, your surgeon could revise your breast with the gummy bear implants, or place a dermal graft like Alloderm, or possibly try filling the area with fat.

Connie Hiers, MD
San Antonio Plastic Surgeon