Would 450cc HP implants be too big?

I'm 5'5 135lbs. My surgery is in July and I'm hoping to get 450cc hp over. My bwd is 12.0 right and left 12.5 the 450cc implant is 12.7. Last consult I had my doctor said he would be comfortable putting 400cc in. He was worried about me having too much side boob. I like the way the 450cc look. I wouldn't mind some side boob. He also mentioned that I had a deep chest bone. Would the 450's be too big?

Is 450cc's too big for me?

Hello and thank you for your question! I want to start off by telling you what I tell many of my patients: Do not focus on cc's or bra sizes as many women see their friend with "x" number of cc implants etc and think that they have an idea of what they want. There is a lot that goes into implant selection -- your breast volume, the amount of cleavage you want to achieve, your base width, your rib shape/projection, etc. Without seeing you and doing your measurements, it is difficult to assess accurately your final breast size or shape. The other thing to consider is that most women are not accurately sized for their bras. Different bra companies are sized differently and employees at various clothing stores will not use the same criteria to measure one's bra size.

The most important thing to consider is really the size and look that is appealing to YOU with the implants you choose. Many surgeons have sizing models whether using bras with implants or computer simulation. I encourage you to discuss with your surgeon many of these considerations when deciding which implant and size to use during your surgery. Additionally, a breast implant is a round object and has a certain diameter. Your base width on each side of your chest will determine "how big of a ball" or what diameter implant you can reliably go up to with a socially acceptable cosmetic outcome. The implant will "augment" or increase the size of your breasts to an amount acceptable to you and your surgeon.

My patients will try on a sports bra and then we pick the implants based on their measured breast base width. If your base width were to support up to a 500cc implant, I would have you try on the 500cc implants in the bra and then the 400 or 450 cc implants and afterwards select the implant that made YOU the happiest. In reality, don't stress too much as this is not a HUGE difference and should be the fun part of the process. =) Go with what is acceptable based on your measurements and makes you happiest and make sure to weigh the pros and cons of the options you are considering. It is a good thing that you are doing your research before making a final decision. I think you will have a great result.

I hope this helps answer your question and feel free to reach out to me if I can be of further assistance.

Dr. Sean Kelishadi
@sskplasticsurg on Instagram

450 cc

The choosing of implants is best done in-person with a board-certified plastic surgeon.  A lot of factors can affect this choice like your desired end result, body measurements, breast tissue, and the like.  Best to visit a board certified plastic surgeon and get a full evaluation.  Best of luck, Dr. Michael Omidi.

Michael M. Omidi, MD, FACS

Focus on the look not the cc or cup size.

Focus on the look not the cc or cup size. Patient's often regret decisions based on extraneous factors as you may end up with suboptimal result. Bra's vary from store to store, and cc's mean nothing in isolation. You should be measured during your consult and offered implants within a 5mm window of those measurements in multiple styles. For what's its worth, in my experience a dimensionally sound mod+ profile tends to go from an A+/B- to the magical full C or small D. A high profile (or SRF) would be about 100ccs larger to maintain the same base width and more like a Full D but VS will call it a DD or DDD, particularly in a 32-34. Ultimately, try on the different styles and look in the mirror. When you see the look you like, pick that style! This requires a consult, exam, measurements and sizing with a board certified plastic surgeon. My patients select the implant style and their chest dimensions dictate the number of cc's. I make specific recommendations to each and every of the augmentation patients I see annually based on: 1) dimensional planning 2) expressed goals 3) amount and quality of tissue to hide the implant. I have included a link with my explanation of the different implants and what to expect from your consult as well as hundreds of before and after photos to see what change implants of a particular size deliver. Best of luck. #drfeldman #BancroftFeldman #breastaugmentation #sugarland #HoustonTX

Breast Augmentation : Information

Dear Ms. Jayleeky,

Thank you for your story and questions. Unfortunately without nude photos and a actual
exam I am limited (including taking accurate measurements of your chest) And can only give you non specific but hopefully helpful comments.

Choosing the correct breast implant is a multifactoral depending on your anatomy, skin strech, desired look and size.
Breast size is a very personal choice and using a variety of techniques (some of which you may have completed) you can achieve the size and look you desire.
Unfortunately bra manufactures have not standardized cup sizes.
Breast implant manufactures have created a wide spectrum of implants based on a "cc" measuring system. Different base widths result in different projections for the same size of cc's. Different shapes are based on the cohesiveness of the internal gel.

My responses are:
A)purchase several bras (full bodied and no padding) of the size you think you want to
be. As you realize there are no standard bra (strap/cup) sizes.
B)take a measuring cup (1 oz=30cc) place rice in a nylon y
C) try on various volumes of rice with some form fitting clothes.

2)placement of implant:
Select several nude model photos of the goal breast shape you desire.
Placement decision of implant(subpectoral, dual plane, or suprapectoral) will be determined based on your anatomy If the implant is placed under the pectoralis muscle I usually add 10% volume to what the patient chooses.... to compensate for the muscle pressing down on the muscle and for the naturally settleing of the implant which often makes the breast appear smaller 2-3 months after surgery.

3)profile of implant:
A) for the same volume the higher the profile the narrower the base width.
B)there is very little difference in projection between a moderate to high profile implant
thus little affect on the perceptible final projection of your breasts.
C) the base width of the breast should equal the base width of the implant
D)thus I personally chose the profile based on the patients chest measurements,
(a high profile on a wide chest may not result in the cleavage desired and
conversely a low profile on a narrow chest may result in implant in the outside arm

4)types of implants:
A) round
B) anatomical or shaped be (form stable).

5)Filler material
A) Silicone gel
B) Normal Saline.

6)there are four companies that produce breast implants:
-1) Mentor
-2) Allergan
-3) Sientra
-4) Ideal
1-2 =silicone fill comes from same factory
3 =silicone gel has highest cohesiveness (gummy bear) for round implants
1= only implants made in USA
1-2 = make both silicone and normal saline filled implants
4= only makes normal saline filled implants
4 = has internal baffles in normal saline implant to give feel more like silicone filled implants
1-4 = all FDA approved, lifetime warranties
3-at present voluntarily suspended distribution
1-3 have capsular contracture warranty
1-3 have different profiles (for same volume different base widths) resulting in different projections.
1-3 have anatomical or shaped implants.

I personally use all four companies based on the above and the best "fit" for the patient.
I trust your Plastic Surgeon is experienced and is Certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery and ideally a member of the American Society for Aesthetic Plastic Surgery (denoting by membership as having met additional criteria and a focus on Cosmetic Plastic Surgery).

My best wishes,

R. A. Hardesty, MD, FACS
Diplomate and Certified by the Am. Bd. of Plastic Surgery
4646 Brockton Ave
Riverside, Ca 92506
(951) 686-7600

Breast Implant Sizing

Thank you very much for your question.

It is very difficult to predict accurate sizing through online discussions. Really, an in-person exam is needed, with accurate breast measurements, and a detailed discussion of your goals with the surgeon. Together, you will be able to pick the implant that is the right size for you. Best of luck!

Daniel Krochmal, MD
Chicago General Surgeon

450 cc

Given your measurements, a 450 cc implant is at the upper end of what your body can tolerate. The larger volume will cause additional stress to your skin and tissue, leading to a higher likelihood of descent over time. A textured implant may decrease later movement over time and avoid excessive "side boob"

Arko Demianczuk, MD
Vancouver Plastic Surgeon

Is a 450cc high profile implant too big?

It's impossible to give you definitive advice without seeing you.  I would say that 450 cc is well above average and might be too large.  Over time a larger implant will cause more breast tissue thinning and skin stretching and may even cause the implant to settle out to the side causing a loss of your cleavage.  If you do have lots of loose skin and distensibility then you might very well need an implant of this size.  That would need to be determined in a face to face exam.
I personally prefer to get a sense of what size and shape my patients seek and choose the actual implant size from a wide available selection during the procedure.  I sit my patients up and use test implants to actually see the results of each volume before making the final selection.  Most patients don't seek a result in ccs, but an approximate combination of size and contour.
Discuss your goals carefully with your surgeon and allow him/her to make the best selection for you.  Best wishes and good luck.  Please watch the video above for my feelings about the risks of too large an implant. 

Jon A Perlman MD FACS
Extreme Makeover Surgeon ABC TV
Certified, Am Board of Plastic Surgery
Beverly Hills, Ca

Jon A. Perlman, MD

Breast Augmentation, Breast Implants

Thank you for your question. Before you make your final decision on size and shape of implants I would suggest that you meet again with your Board Certified Plastic Surgeon again and go over your concerns and why you feel a specific implant would give you the results you desire. Your surgeon should be able to explain to you why they are recommending the size they are according to your current breast measurements including your chest width and your desired outcome. Your Surgeon should be able to advise you thoroughly on your options.

We have all our Breast Augmentation patients not only utilize our 3D imaging so they can get a real visual on what the implants will look like on them but also to actually try on the different size implants with a tight bra and t-shirt to see what they might expect. That way they have a good visual of what a 450cc implant will do as opposed to a 350cc implant for example. You want to make sure that you see a surgeon that will listen to you and your goals for the procedure and discuss in detail their recommendation for size and shape not only taking into consideration your desired outcome but also your breast measurements before the procedure including your chest dimensions. And then let you try the implants that they feel will give you the desired result so you are in agreement with the size.

What is "Too Big" when it comes to Breast Implants?

First let's agree on several facts:
1. Gravity ALWAYS wins. Since none of us is destined to live in a gravity free enviroment everything, even feathers) gets pulled down and the heavier the object (such as over-sized behind, an augmented breast etc) the faster the sagging.
2. ALL breast implants ripple AND those above the muscle demonstrate their rippling MORE than those under the muscle. (This is one of the reason we like to cover the implants with as much of your tissues as possible).

Therefore, a large implant OVER the muscle WILL:
- sag faster
- show more rippling (especially as with time some of the breast tissue over the implant will go away revealing more of the implant and its ripples).

Therefore, the BEST way to get a great and long-lasting result with breast implants is to pick a pair which are covered nicely by your breast tissue (and preferably your muscle). Rather than squeezing as much as you can into your breasts and then spending tens of thousands of dollars trying to repair the consequences, I would go with the smallest implant you would still be happy with.

To do so, NOTHING beats 3D computer imaging with a VECTRA system. After you picked several implants, the system would allow you how YOU would look with each one of them IN YOU and the subtle differences between them. Because the system is expensive very few Plastic surgeons offer it. We do and our patients LOVE it. It avoids the back-forth "shall I get this many of that many cc's?" you and thousands are going through.

Good Luck.

Memphis, TN

Be careful

That implant is large and will likely be visible in the submammary plane(over). This can overstretch and thin your tissues over time. Careful selection of implant volume, size, and pocket is important for lasting results.

William C. Rigano, MD
Dayton Plastic Surgeon