My Temporary Crown on the Back Tooth Came Off- Do I Need To Cement Temporarily Until Dentist Visit?

I can see the doctor in two days only because it's a weekend. Can I just wait two days and not to put it back until I see my dentist or I have to glue it with the temporary cement from the pharmacy?

Yes, you never want to be without a temporary

Teeth can shift and move. The ordered permanent crown may not fit if you're without your temporary for any extended perod of time.

Not to mention the tooth pain or injury you might experience because of the uncovered tooth. Best to go see your dentist as soon as possible!

Mississauga Dentist

Temporary crown off. Do I need to recement?

Yes, you should have it re-cemented as soon as possible. If you do not, the tooth can shift causing the final crown to not fit. Or, the gum tissue can grow over the tooth causing problems with the final crown seating. The constant exposure of saliva on your tooth can lead to inflammation in the tooth causing sensitivity.

You should try to fit the crown back onto your tooth until your dentist can re-cement. You can use a very small amount of denture gel adhesive (gotten from a drug store over the counter) inside the crown and place it back on your tooth.

Joseph H. Hidalgo, DDS
Plano Dentist

Loose temp

A quick way to resolve the problem is trying putting it back in yourself to see how it fits comfortably in the mouth. Its like a puzzle piece, it will only fit nicely one way! Once you know they way it goes in, you can place a dab of toothpaste inside and push it on. This will temporarily hold it in place, won't cause any cavities, and also decrease sensitivity to that tooth until you can get into your dentist! Good luck :)

Mufaddal Kapadia, DDS
Westlake Village Dentist

What To Do if A Temporary Comes Off

If a temporary crown comes off, typically waiting 2 days to see your dentist should not matter. However, sometimes the tooth may be sensitive to hot, cold, sweets, etc. If the tooth is sensitive, then a temporary cement purchased over the counter is an option. A word of caution: try the temporary crown in several times before applying the cement to the interior of the crown. This helps assure that the crown will be properly seated before the cement sets. Clean the excess cement as much as possible and see your dentist as soon as possible. When flossing the area, pull the floss through and not up so as to not dislodge the crown.

Do I need to have my temporary crown recemented

The purpose of a temporary crown is to protect the underlying tooth from fracturing, to prevent tooth sensitivity, to prevent adjacent teeth and opposing teeth from tooth shifting, and lastly esthetics.  In order to protect your investment, I would recommend returning to have the temporary recemented.

Dislodged temp crown

If it fits passively put it back with some temp cement from the drug store to protect the tooth integrity. Clean and dry tooth, don't overload the temp cement.If it does not or you are not comfortable do not put it back. Stay off sugar products and enforce good hygiene for 2 days.

Sandra M. Low, DMD
New York Dentist

Re-cement Temporary Crowns

Temporary crown that came off should be re-cemented by the dentist if it’s going to be more then two days.

If the patient is not sensitive and can wait for couple of days till they see their dentist its OK, but anything longer then that can cause the adjacent teeth to shift and the bite to alter. For patients who can’t tolerate the pain if the temporary falls out, placing the temporary back carefully with a drug store cement can buy them time till they see the dentist, however, they need to bite down to make sure the temporary crown is in proper position so as to not cause bite discomfort or fracture under pressure.

Arthur Kezian, DDS
Los Angeles Dentist

Cementation of Temporary Crown

If you can fit the crown on and bit down comfortably then you can put it in place with dentucreme or a temporary cement from the pharmacy.  It is important that it is fit in properly and you don't use excess cement that could cause a gum problem or have the crown sit too high and casues a problem with your bite.  You can call your dentist and seek their advice.  If it doesn't hurt then it may be OK just to leave it off for a few days.  However, teeth can shif quickly if temporary crowns ore off for more than a few days causing the permanant one not to fit.

Lawrence Singer, DMD
Washington Dentist

Temporary crown

I would recommend to wait to have the dentist recement the temporary crown if it is a matter of a couple of days wait. Make sure you are very carefull with oral hygiene. Be gentle when chewing on that side.

Antoaneta Barba, DDS
Santa Ana Dentist

Recenting Temporary Crown

Temporary crowns are important to have until the final crown is cemented for several reasons.  The temporary crown helps keep the prepared tooth clean from plaque and decay, prevents other teeth from shifting towards the prepared tooth, and also maintains the correct position and contour of the gumline.  If the temporary crown falls off before your next appointment, be sure to notify your dentist and get it recemented asap.  If you can't see your dentist til 2 days later, it should be okay but be sure to brush and floss frequently to keep it clean.  All the best, Dr. Elizabeth Jahanian.

Elizabeth Jahanian, DDS
Los Angeles Dentist