Small lumps and bluish discoloration after Bellafil, is this normal? What can I do?

I got Bellafill for my cheeks about 2 months ago. I see a couple of small lumps & bluish discoloration. (the black & blue went away 3 weeks after I was injected) Is this normal with Bellafill & what can be done about this?? My cheeks looked better before I was injected!! Thanks!

Lumps and Discoloration after Bellafill Injection

This is not a normal reaction to Bellafill. I recommend having this evaluated. Remember to always see an expert injector. 

Summit Emergency Medicine Physician

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

Summit Emergency Medicine Physician

Bellafill for the Cheeks Resulting in Lumps

I am sorry that you are having a problem.  Three weeks for bruising to dissipate is a very long time and that tells me that you had a lot of bleeding at the time of your injection.  I would imagine that a needle rather than a cannula was used to do your injections.  Blood can be very caustic to tissue and when mixed with the collagen that is in Bellafill, can result in a lot of scarring and tissue trauma.  This is more than likely what you are seeing if you are only 2 months out form your injections.  I advise patients to wait 3 months after their injections before intervening with alternative treatment.  For now, gentle massage may help.  After 3 months, a series of three to four 5FU plus Kenalog 10 injections will almost always settle these types of problems down.

I hope that helps.

Best regards.

I hope that helps.

Best regards.

Follow up with Doctor for Steroids, Venus Legacy treatments to soften

This should be followed up with your injector. Massage, 5fu/steroid injections and venus legacy treatments can help soften the lumps. Bellafill cannot form blue discoloration however. Best, Dr. Emer.

Bumps and blue tint after Bellafill

This is not normal and should be discussed with you doctor. I would consider using 5 FU if the nodules are large. It is extremely important to be injected by an experienced physician with this filler. I'm a trainer for this product. It is an extremely safe product in the right hands. 

Steven F. Weiner, MD

Bumps and blue tint after Bellafill

Steven F. Weiner, MD