Should microneedling be used in combination with Bellafill for acne scars?

I don't understand why my doctor wants to use microneedling with the Bellafill. Isn't the Bellafill enough for the acne scars? Is microneedling even necessary? I don't want it.

Acne scars and Bellafill

My preference is using Bellafill with Infini. Microneedling isn't as effective on scars as Infini. Since the improvement in scars is never complete with any treatment, combining treatments gives better results. Bellafill is mainly only for rolling acne scars. Most patients have a combination of different types of acne scars, with some not treatable with just filling. 

Micro Needling After Bellafill

Bellafill is used to fill in soft scars as much as possible but while it works really well, it is never perfect.  That is where micro-needling comes in.  Micro-needling can help even the color problems from things like acne scars and well as help even out the texture and small undulations that are often left after acne scarring and remain even after a filler like Bellafill.

I hope that helps.

Best regards.

Brian Windle, MD
Kirkland Plastic Surgeon

Micro needling and Bellafill

Bellafill can lead to improvement in some acne scars when used alone.  Micro needling can also lead to improvement in some acne scars when used alone.  Because they work differently, when both treatments are used, it is possible that they could produce a better result than when either is used alone.  If you feel you do not want the micro needling, I would just discuss this with your physician, as it should be possible to just have the Bellafill if that is your preference.    

Michael I. Echavez, MD
San Francisco Facial Plastic Surgeon