Will Zoom whitening remove brown stains from the top and bottom of my teeth? Will they start to reappear after a certain amount of time?
Permanent Zoom Teeth Whitening
Doctor Answers 6
There is upkeep after ZOOM
Teeth have pores and everyday you are in a constant battle with stains. Whitening your teeth is like dying your hair there is always upkeep. Zoom is a great way to get the teeth white but then you need to keep them white. Some tips:
1. use and electric toothbrush
2. Go for regular cleanings
3. use an at home system such as IntelliWHiTE to do upkeep once every few months
Only ZOOM once a year
4. drink dark liquids through a straw
Teeth darkening after Zoom Whitening
Your teeth will rebound slightly immediately after Zoom whitening. This is why I recommend patients take home whitening trays to use the following week for optimal results. Sometimes it takes 2 or 3 Zoom whitening procedures for your teeth to plateau to the optimal white shade.
Zoom needs maintenance
my patients are put on a post zoom whitening maintenance routine to keep that smile as bright as could be for years to come.
this includes upper and lower custom whitening trays, whitening gels, special toothpastes, Sonicare toothbrush, and eating tips such as drinking coffee, tea and soda through a straw when possible.
zoom is great for immediate results, a post zoom maintenance program is great for long lasting results.
You might also like...
Zoom Whitening maintenance
How much your teeth stain depends a lot on your diet. For example, drinking coffee or soda regularly will stain your teeth. Smoking also stains your teeth. Brushing your teeth more frequently result in your teeth staining less. Also seeing your dentist for regular cleanings will remove some of the stains. I advise patients to use custom made take home trays to maintain their desired tooth shade. Good Luck!
ZOOM and brown stains
ZOOM does an excellent job whitening yellow to orange colored teeth. Whether or not it can help the brown stains depends a lot on what type of stains they are.
- Did the teeth develop that way? If so, the brown stain may be more internal and not respond well to whitening. If the teeth developed that way, cosmetic bonding or porcelain veneers may be the only way to remove and/or mask the brown stain.
- Did the brown stain happen over the last several years? If so, it may be more superficial and may respond after a professional cleaning and ZOOM whitening. ZOOM whitening is more effective once a patient has had their teeth cleaned to remove the extrinsic stain and tartar.
Our teeth discolor over the years from diet soda, juices, coffee, smoking, red wine, or other sources, and no tooth whitening is a permanent treatment. Some dentists recommend tray whitening to "touch up" and re-whiten, while others may recommend another ZOOM procedure.
These answers are for educational purposes and should not be relied upon as a substitute for medical advice you may receive from your physician. If you have a medical emergency, please call 911. These answers do not constitute or initiate a patient/doctor relationship.