Will Juvederm fillers fix my mental crease? If so, how will the fillers affect my chin shape when I smile? (Photo)

Will juvaderm fillers fix my mental crease? (Crease between lower lip and chin). This is a hereditary feature from father but i would like a chin with no crease. How will the fillers affect my chin shape when smiling?

Juvederm in Chin

Thank you for the question and for including photos. If performed properly, Juvederm should treat the crease without changing the shape of your chin. Make an appointment with a physician who uses multiple products so that there are options when choosing a filler. 
Good luck.

A combination approach is your best option.

For a mental crease such as yours, a combination approach with BOTOX® Cosmetic followed by Juvéderm® or Restylane® may produce the best results. This helps soften the line between your lower lip and chin by relaxing the underlying muscles and adding more tissue volume. Remember that all injectables are temporary solutions, and you may need to repeat treatments once or twice a year to maintain optimal results.

Sculptra is a Good Option for the Chin Area

Sculptra is a dermal filler which works over time to stimulate new collagen in the deeper layers of the skin. I offer Sculptra as a good option for those people who feel that gel fillers may cause some distortion when they smile. The good news with Sculptra is that the effects occur gradually so that the treatments can be precisely planned to create the proper amount of filling. Sculptra results are long-lasting, and the resulting growth in new collagen naturally contours the chin. 

Edward Szachowicz, MD, PhD
Minneapolis Facial Plastic Surgeon

Fillers on Mental Crease

Fillers work great in this area, a little botox/dysport to the chin would do well too.  I suggest seeing a cosmetic dermatologist who specializes in lasers and fillers.  Best, Dr. Emer.

Botox & filler combinations work best

I see at least 3-4 cases per week of mental crease - protuberant chin cases, and in the vast majority of time my treatment is very similar to Dr Devani's. 

I Botox with 6-8 units, scattered low down on your chin- this 'softens' the chin, and 2 weeks later I use a filler to once again 'soften' the mental crease lines. This gives the most natural results. 

All the best

Dr Davin Lim
Laser Dermatologist
Brisbane, Australia 

Davin Lim, MBBS, FACD
Brisbane Dermatologist

Botox and Fillers may soften the crease

You could try a combination approach with botox and then 2 weeks later, add filler if your still not happy with the result. As the goal is to soften the line, you would need minimal toxin and filler. These are advanced techniques so be sure to get an experienced dermatologist or plastic surgeon consultation for recommendations and treatment options.

Alim R. Devani, MD, FRCPC
Calgary Dermatologist

Chin crease Rx with fillers

The chin crease is a normal part of the anatomy and represents a line of firm fibrous attachment of the skin to the underlying bone.  While it can be lessened with filler material or a surgical release, it likely will not disappear and in fact could look abnormal.  

Richard O. Gregory, MD

Mental Crease

The mental crease is normal for everyone's appearance. If you fill the crease, it won't look normal. Right now you have a very natural and even pretty chin and mental crease. As the saying goes, "If it ain't broke, don't fix it". On the other hand, if you really want to eliminate it, use one of the fillers that has a shorter duration initially. If it gets you what you want, then go with one that has a longer duration. If it doesn't work, you lose several hundred dollars.          jlr

John Louis Ratz, MD
Clermont Dermatologist