Dropping and Fluffing. Any suggestions ? (photos)

Can anyone give me an estimate on how long it generally takes for breast to "drop and fluff"? It's been 4 weeks and my left breast is still significantly higher than my right. I got 445 cc in my left breast and 405 cc in my right. I'm starting to worry about my left breast not dropping. Any pointers ? Suggestions? Words of encouragement ?

You may have to wait another 5 months.

Although you appear to be healing well, your final results are still months away. It can take up to 6 months for breast implants to completely soften and drop into the pocket prepared by your plastic surgeon. Breasts can heal at different rates after breast augmentation and your right breast could be settling quicker than the left one. Keep an eye on your results for the next couple months or see if your plastic surgeon recommends using a band to help the left breast drop or massaging to help implants soften.

Breast Augmentation - Post Op Swelling?

Thank you for your question. You are still early in the post-operative period. It typically takes 3 - 6 months for the swelling to subside and and implants to settle into proper position. Please discuss your concerns with your board certified plastic surgeon. Also, make sure you follow all of your plastic surgeons post-operative instructions regarding level of physical activity and use of a support bra. Hope this helps and good luck with your recovery.

Breast augmentation

Thank you for your question and photographs.

It is important to address any post-operative concerns with your plastic surgeon.  You are still early on in your recovery. Swelling after a breast augmentation occurs with 100% of patients, eventually the swelling will go down and your breasts will drop into their pockets, sometimes you heal quicker in one breast than the other and one implant can even drop sooner than the other one.  If one implant is still sitting too high, the use of a breast binder and a foam wedge is beneficial to add downward pressure to that breast. I would begin to perform your breast massages. Your doctor may also prescribe you a Medrol dose pack (steroid) to help with the swelling. I hope this helps.
Best of luck in your recovery!
Sincerely,

James Fernau, MD, FACS
Board Certified ENT
Board Certified Plastic Surgery
Member of ASPS, ASAPS, ISAPS, The Rhinoplasty Society, AAFPRS, OTO/HNS, ASLMS, International Federation for Adipose Therapeutics & Science

James Fernau, MD, FACS
Pittsburgh Plastic Surgeon

How Long Until My Breast Implants Drop? #breastimplants #breastaugmentation

• Things are looking just fine for only being 4 weeks out from your breast augmentation.
  • It may take 3 months (or more) for your implants to fully stretch out your lower pole breast skin and settle into place.
  • With time, gravity and the weight of your implants will change the way your breasts look. 
  • I imagine you'll be very pleased with your new look. 
  • Thanks for sharing!

Asymme

You are holding your left should higher and I believe this is making you think your left breast is higher than it actually is - taking this into account I think you are progressing fine

Breast implant drop?

Yes..words of encouragement...be patient.  You look great.  4 weeks still early in this type of surgery. I highly recommend letting them settle more by just being patient.  In about 3-6 months they should drop...but this entirely depends on the pocket that was created or not.  But at this point...be patient. Hope this helps.  

Bhupesh Vasisht, MD
Voorhees Plastic Surgeon

Breast Augmentation/Breast Implants/Anatomic Gummy Bear Implants/ Silicone Implants/Breast Implant Revision

I appreciate your question.

Right now, you are very early on in the post op recovery period. It will take 3-6 months for you to feel comfortable having implants in your body and for them to settle. This time allows for you to physically and psychologically adapt to your new body image. There are many variables that contribute to a breast augmentation's final result. Preop size and shape, IMF location, location of the implants and type of implant. Patients heal at different rates and each breast will sometimes heal at a different rate. Rest, relax, recover and heal. Express your concerns to your surgeon so he/she can examine you. Then reassess final result at 6 months.

The best way to assess and give true advice would be an in-person exam.

Please see a board-certified plastic surgeon that specializes in aesthetic and restorative breast surgery.

Dr. Schwartz

#RealSelf100Surgeon

#RealSelfCORESurgeon

Dropping and Fluffing. Any suggestions ?

Your plastic surgeon will always be your best resource when it comes to accurate assessment and/or advice. The use of specific garments/bands and/or massage etc will vary from one practice to another.

Generally speaking, breast implants will "drop" into the pocket that was created during surgery. The rate of breast implant "settling" may depend on factors such as size of breast implant pocket dissected, tightness of the overlying skin/muscle layers, and size of breast implant utilized. Normally, it takes about 3-6 months (for some patients longer) to see the final result. It is very common for one side to settle faster than the other.

In cases where implants do not settle sufficiently or significant breast asymmetry persists, the pros/cons associated with revisionary breast surgery (for example, capsulotomy surgery for an implant that is sitting too high) should be carefully considered prior to making decisions whether or not to undergo further surgery. 

Best wishes for an outcome that you will be very pleased with.

4 weeks postop...

Congrats on your surgery!  Generally I advise patients to wait 3 months to allow swelling to resolve, the tissues to soften, and the implants to drop into place.  Only then can you faithfully evaluate the symmetry, size, and contour.  See one of my patient's time-lapse photos (0, 3 weeks, 3 months) toward the end of the attached video.  Also, keep in mind that one side may heal and drop at a different rate than the other.  Do your best to be patients and trust in the process.   Hope this helps and good luck!

How long does it take for breast implants to settle?

While the implant settling process can take up to 3-4 months to be complete, I do always inform patients that implants can settle at slightly different rates as each individuals body has to stretch to accommodate this new implant and additional volume.  The size of a patients implants, the pre-operative breast size, pre-operative breast shape, type of implant used, skin elasticity, muscle tone, surgical technique, etc... are all factors that influence the amount of time that this 'drop and fluff' process can take.  

Considering you are only 4 weeks post-op, I would not be concerned with the current appearance of your breasts.  It is not uncommon for one side to settle out a little faster than the other, and since you are still quite early in your recovery I would not anticipate there being any issues down the line.  With that said, I would recommend that you follow up in person with your operating surgeon to discuss your concerns and progress thus far.  

I hope you find this helpful and I wish you a speedy recovery!