Why are my breasts like this and is there anything I can do to change them? (photos)

I don't know how to describe them but I really hate them. They lower my self eastem. They look saggy small and I feel like my areolas are too big. What can I do to increase their size and make the nipples look smaller. Would getting piercings make them look more normal?

Why are my breasts like this?

Your breast shape is described as "tuberous breasts". This means the nipples are large and the breast itself is about the same diameter (width), whereas the breast width is normally significantly wider than the width of the nipple. You have done nothing to cause this, it is a  problem with how the breasts have developed. But there are things that can be done to change this. It is considered a reconstructive problem rather than a cosmetic one, so you should discuss it with your GP.  They can  refer you to a Plastic Surgeon who is on the Specialist Register, which is the Irish equivalent of "board certified", and specialises in breast reconstruction. They will assess you and discuss the treatment options which include implants to make the breast base larger, and also surgery to the nipple and breast base to alter the shape of the nipple. 

Dublin Plastic Surgeon

What can you do to change them?

Far more important than the technique is the skill and experience of your plastic surgeon. Choose your surgeon rather than the technique and let them explain why one technique may be better than another. 
See the below link on some suggestions on finding the most qualified Plastic Surgeon for a  Breast Augmentation.

Tu

You have (as do many women so you are not alone ) tuberous breasts and a good result with a simple cosmetic augmentation is not possible - you will need a technically challenging tuberous breast deformity correction and you must see a surgeon in your area with experience in this condition

Why are my breasts like this and is there anything I can do to change them?

Thank you for the question and pictures.  Your breasts  demonstrate many of the qualities seen with tuberous (constricted) breasts; there is a wide range when it comes to tuberous/constricted breast presentation.

Generally speaking, some of the characteristics seen with tuberous breasts include a very narrow base, short distance from areola to inframammary fold, tight (constricted) lower pole of the breasts, relatively wide space between the breasts, "puffy” areola and some degree of ptosis (drooping). 

Generally, correction of tuberous breast anomalies involves breast augmentation with areola reduction / mastopexy procedure. The distance from the inframammary fold is increased (to create a more rounded out appearance). Proper implant positioning improves the distance (cleavage) between the breasts. The areola reduction helps to treat the pointed and "puffy" appearance of the areola. In the most severe cases of tuberous breast, a more complete breast lift may also be necessary. In many cases however, a lift is not necessary. The patient should be aware that the final result will take months to see and that they will need to be patient and that revisionary surgery is more likely than in patients who do not present with tuberous (constricted) breasts.

In your case, if the appearance/shape/size of the breasts are a concern, you may be an excellent candidate for corrective surgery. When you are ready, please make sure you consult with well experienced board-certified plastic surgeons who have significant (demonstrable) experience with this type of surgery.

I hope this, and the attached link (dedicated to corrective surgery for patients with tuberous/constricted breasts) helps. Best wishes.

Why are my breasts like this and is there anything I can do to change them

You have a tuberous breast on both sides. They can be improved by cutting into the breast tissue to allow the breast mound to splay out and be less constricted at its base. At the same time a breast implant would help by making you broader and apply pressure to the tuberous breast to smooth out the projection. The areola can be reduced at that time to reduce that part of what bothers you. As to the nipple piercing, it will not alter the shape of your breast in any positive way to correct what you have

Julio Garcia, MD

Tuberous Breasts

Thank you for your question and for your pictures. It appears that you have tuberous breasts. This is fairly common in my practice and can usually be improved with a breast augmentation. I recommend consulting with a few board certified plastic surgeons in order to better know your options.

Tuberous Breast Deformity

Thank you for your question and I'm sorry to hear about your situation.  Based on your photos which show a constricted base, wide areoles with apparent herniated breast tissue and widely spaced breasts, you have tuberous breasts.  This deformity exists on a spectrum of mild to severe.  The good news is that there is treatment for this.  Treatment is surgical and includes either an implant placement with mastopexy and release of the constricting tissue or a two stage procedure for severe cases where a tissue expander is initially placed followed by implant placement and mastopexy.  Be sure to consult with an experienced board certified plastic surgeon.  Good luck! 

Zachary Farris, MD, FACS

Do I Have Tuberous Breasts?

Your breasts have that appearance because they are tuberous. Tuberous breasts can definitely be improved! Breast augmentation with nipple reduction will help to improve the appearance. No, getting nipple piercings will not "make them look normal." In fact, if you are seriously considering having breast surgery, I would not get any piercings in order to decrease the risk of infection. As a woman, I understand the importance of healthy body image and body confidence. There may be people in your life who will tell you not to have plastic surgery or who may tell you that it's a bad idea, but the voice you should listen to is your own. Do not be deterred if breast surgery is something that you really want. You are the only one who lives in your body 24/7 365 days of the year. Find a plastic surgeon in your area who does excellent breast surgery if you are interested in surgery to improve your breasts' appearance. Best of luck to you! 

Millicent Odunze-Geers, MD, MPH
Sacramento Physician

Tuberous breasts

You have tuberous breasts. This can be greatly improved surgically with insertion of breast implants, releasing the constricted breast tissues and reducing the size of your areolas. Obtain a consultation with a board certified plastic surgeon experienced with correcting tuberous breasts.

Tuberous breasts

Thank you for your question and photographs.

I’m sorry to hear that you are unhappy with your breasts. It looks as though you may have tuberous breast deformity. Common signs of this are flat upper breasts and areolar herniation which is puffy or large nipples/areolas. This can be corrected with a breast augmentation and possibly a nipple/areola reduction to reshape the breasts and nipples/areaolas to a more pleasing shape and size.  I recommend that you schedule a consultation with a board certified plastic surgeon so you can have a physical examination of your breasts done to decide the best implants for you. At my office, we use Crisalix which is a virtual reality device that will allow you to view different sizes of implants and pick which best suits your desires.  As the only board certified plastic surgeon in Pittsburgh offering this virtual reality imaging system, we have a 100% satisfaction rate.  Crisalix  is truly a unique experience for our patients as they can view themselves using virtual reality goggles and can instantly visualize their own breasts changing in size and shape with all of the various brands, sizes and shapes of breast implants.  Thus, our patients leave the consultation feeling confident with the size of the implant they chose.  
Best of luck in your endeavors!
Sincerely,

James Fernau, MD, FACS
Board Certified ENT
Board Certified Plastic Surgery
Member of ASPS, ASAPS, ISAPS, The Rhinoplasty Society, AAFPRS, OTO/HNS, ASLMS, International Federation for Adipose Therapeutics & Science