How soon after breast augmentation can you get lipo to the abdomen, flanks and back or vice versa ?

Liposuction after breast augmentation

We usually like to wait until you're feeling well and the breasts have softened and settled enough for you to comfortably lay on your stomach if necessary for the back/flank liposuction. For some women this is as short as 2-3 months and longer for some women. It really depends on how you're feeling but in most cases, surgeons would wait around 3 months. However, if you opt for CoolSculpting instead, that can be done 2-3 weeks after surgery. I hope this information helps you out. Best of luck!

New Haven Plastic Surgeon

Timing between multiple surgeries varies

When a patient has multiple surgical procedures requiring anesthesia, various factors influence the amount of time needed between surgeries. Generally, smaller procedures can be timed closely together; 3 months is a common interval. 

Recovery in general is an important issue: patients should feel well, without residual pain,  and have resumed a normal activity level before undergoing second procedures. Also,  different procedures are associated with varying degrees of expected blood loss, so a blood count may be needed prior to having another surgery. 

In addition, there may be specific considerations; for instance, with breast augmentation, patients should generally wait three months to have additional surgery, or even dental cleaning, because there is a slight risk of circulating bacteria infecting new implants. 

Bottom line: discuss timing of multiple procedures with your surgeon to determine what is safe, and make sure you feel comfortable with the plan for you. As always, don't be afraid to ask questions. 

Good luck. 

Steven Goldman, MD
Cleveland Plastic Surgeon

Staging surgery

If you are staging your surgery there are no proven rules about time between operations but I would suggest 3-4 months as a minimum 

Several Months

Breast augmentations are often combined with an abdominoplasty and liposuction. This combination is common aftern childbirth, and therefore coined a "Mommy Makeover." Doing the procedures together saves time and money and allows you to go through just one recovery. If you wish to space out the operations, however, many surgeons prefer to wait several months between surgeries.

See the link below for more info.

A detailed examination will help delineate the best surgical option. Consultation with a surgeon certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery would be the next best step.

Breast Augmentation/Breast Implants/Anatomic Gummy Bear Implants/ Silicone Implants/Breast Implant Revision

I appreciate your question.

These procedures can be combined together.  If you prefer to stage them, I would recommend that you wait 6 months between surgeries.  This will allow you body adequate time to heal and recover.

The best way to assess and give true advice would be an in-person exam.

Please see a board-certified plastic surgeon that specializes in aesthetic and restorative plastic surgery.

Dr. Schwartz

Breast Augmentation and Lipo

I often perform liposuction at the same time as the breast augmentation.  If you need to stage it, I would suggest doing the liposuction first, as having a smaller torso may affect the implant size chosen (if you make your trunk smaller than your breasts will appear larger).  If you have already had your breast augmentation and now want liposuction, I typically wait 3 months in order for the implant capsule to mature, and reduce the risk of displacing the implants when you're on your stomach during the surgery.  Having said that, doctors may have other opinions regarding optimal timing.

I recommend you talk with your plastic surgeon, or consult with several plastic surgeons in your area, about your options.

Dr. Dan Krochmal

MAE Plastic Surgery

Northbrook, IL

Daniel Krochmal, MD
Chicago General Surgeon

Combined surgery

If you have not had your breast augmentation, you could combine the procedures.  If you already have had your augmentation, I would suggest 2 to 3 months between procedures if you need to placed on your stomach/prone to do the liposuction.

Steven S. Carp, MD
Akron Plastic Surgeon

Lipo and breast augmentation

I will often perform lipo and a breast augmentation at the same time. You should check with your surgeon.

Breast augmentation & liposuction

I would recommend scheduling a consultation with a board certified plastic surgeon to discuss these procedures because every surgeon has a slightly different protocol. A breast augmentation and liposuction can all be performed during one surgery which will help cut down on facility/anesthesia fees etc but if you wish to have these procedures staged then I would recommend waiting at least 3 months in between procedures to allow enough healing time and for swelling to resolve.  Best of luck in your endeavors.

James Fernau, MD, FACS
Board Certified ENT
Board Certified Plastic Surgery
Member of ASPS, ASAPS, ISAPS, The Rhinoplasty Society, AAFPRS, OTO/HNS, ASLMS, International Federation for Adipose Therapeutics & Science

James Fernau, MD, FACS
Pittsburgh Plastic Surgeon

Breast augmentation

Thank you for your question.  If you have not already had the procedure, in our practice we often combine these procedures to produce beautiful overall results in our patients.  If you still desire to separate the surgeries, we often advise patients to wait at least 3 months in between surgeries.  Schedule a consultation with a board certified plastic surgeon so you may be evaluated further, discuss your surgical options, address your goals and work together to create a surgical plan that best helps you achieve the overall look you desire.

With kind regards,
Lane F. Smith, M.D., F.A.A.C.S., F.A.O.H.N.S., F.A.B.F.P.R.S.

Lane Smith, MD