Botox and dysport won't work. Any suggestions?

Hi, I am 30 years old and tried for the first time Dysport then moved to Botox for my glabella lines. I have been at it for the past three months waiting 14 days every time I've gotten injected no luck!!!!! why??? they are saying in rare cases people are just immune to the toxins...of course me! Now they are suggesting fillers. Please suggestions, I'm frustrated and now a little scared Thank you so much

Thank you for your question, and I am sorry to hear that you are scared.  Despite some patients developing a tolerance/resistance to wrinkle relaxers, It is very surprising to not obtain any results with either Botox and/or Dysport, so it makes one wonder about factors that may be playing a role.  Because we do not have all the information on where or how your Botox/Dysport was injected, nor how many units were used, my recommendation would be to seek out a board certified plastic surgeon in your area who can work with you on developing a treatment plant.  A wrinkle relaxers results are largely dependent on the skill of the injector and their familiarity with treating a wide range of patients.  Hang in there!

Botox and Dysport not working

Hmmm.  I have never seen an injection of Botox/Dysport done correctly that is not working.

Possible reasons that injections didn't work.
1.  Product was not injected into the muscle incorrectly.
2.  Not enough product was injected.
3.  Product was reconstituted incorrectly.
4.  Product was expired.
5.  Product was not purchased from an authorized distributor.  May have been counterfeit product.

Botox/Dysport treatments have become a part of our lives in the way that the public thinks "oh anyone can do those."  However, this isn't always true.  There are many places with unqualified injectors and product that isn't being reconstituted properly.

My advice is to seek out a board certified plastic surgeon in your area that does these injections routinely.

Good luck!

Botox and Dysport don't work

Dear andreita0001:

After thousands of patient injections, this is the first I hear that Botox has not worked. There are reasons for patients to be dissatisfied with Botox, Dysport and Xeomin results. The may include:
  • improper muscle injection
  • proper prior muscle injection with recruitment of other muscles
  • need for filler to add volume to a static, deeper furrow or line
  • wrong medication
Please consult with a 2nd opinion, well respected, Board Certified Plastic Surgeon or ENT Facial Surgeon to examine and review your concerns. 

I wish you the best. 

Dean P. Kane, MD, FACS

Botox Failure?

It's unlikely that Botox would not work. For this to happen either the Botox was not injected properly, it was dated or not even Botox, or your lines are static. No botulinum toxin will work on static lines. If you re-post your question with good full-face and close up photos in both relaxed and frowning positions, perhaps your question could be answered more accurately.         jlr

John Louis Ratz, MD
Clermont Dermatologist

Botox inactivity

Im not sure what you mean by "won't work"? Are you able to still move the glabella muscle or do you mean that the wrinkle is still there? I find it hard to believe that if you were properly treated with legitimate product that is properly diluted and dosed, you won't see muscle weakening. I would find a new provider before you decide the treatment didn't work. As far as the wrinkle is concerned, the Botox or disport is designed to keep the dynamic wrinkles from worsening, it doesn't do much for static wrinkle or wrinkles at rest. Besides, it takes many injections over a couple of years to see gradual improvement in existing wrinkles. 3 months won't do it. Are you being treated by an experienced physician? if not, then thats part of the problem. Botox is a prescriptive medical treatment and should only be injected by a physician.

Edwin Ishoo, MD
Cambridge Facial Plastic Surgeon

Toxin no responders!

With both Botox and dysport they are manufactured with the same bacterium and carrier proteins while Xeomin toxin uses a different bacterium and carrier protein. Maybe try that one. Or yes fillers can fill but not paralyze! 

Botox and Immunity

Botox is a great injection for fine lines but there are rare patients who are immune to Botox.  Since all of the toxins are similar in substance, you unfortunately will not be able to use any of these injections.  Depending on the type of line, fillers or lasers may be an option. Please post a photo to give you better advice.

Glabellar Lines

It is rare to have no response to both Botox and Dysport, particularly if these are your first treatments.  It is much more likely that the dosing that has been used to treat your glabellar area has just been inadequate to achieve your desired result.  For some patients who have strong glabellar musculature, even a complete Botox or Dysport treatment alone may still not completely eradicate glabellar lines.  In these patients, conservative filler placement can help to achieve a more pleasing result.

The glabellar area is a very sensitive area with many blood vessels and nerves running in close proximity.  If you are interested in pursuing filler in this area, I would strongly recommend seeing an experienced injector who is comfortable with this treatment, and ideally who uses thinner, hyaluronic acid-based products to achieve the best results.  Good luck!  

Gregory D. Lewen, MD, FACS
Miami Oculoplastic Surgeon