Does my arm swelling post Lipo = dehydration? (photos)

I had Vaser lipo on tummy, back, inner thighs at arms 2 days ago. I noticed my hands/wrist are swollen. I admit spending a lot of time in bed, but do get up to walk around for at least 10 min and I'm drinking ALOT of water (probably about 64oz daily). I've also snacked on crackers and almonds yesterday :/ I usually have a Charlie horse in my calf 1-2 times a day when I get up from lying down. My calf always feels better after walking around. I'm eating at least 1 banana and taking bromlein.

Post Liposuction Irregularities, Swelling -- Try Massage, Velashape or Venus Legacy With Your Compression

I suggest moving more, hyperbaric oxygen, lymphatic massage and compression.  Eat the right foods, low in salt and a lot of fluids.  Best, Dr. Emer.

Arm and Hand Swelling After Liposuction

Have you had swelling of your arms with dehydration in the past? If so, make sure to rehydrate as that should remedy the issue if that is the cause. If that is not your past experience, swelling of the arms after liposuction is most likely from liposuction, not dehydration. Liposuction is surgery. Surgery is an insult/controlled trauma to the body. Swelling is normal after trauma to the body. It is normal for areas adjacent to the areas of liposuction to also swell after liposuction. This majority of the swelling may last up to 4-6 weeks, improving all the while with residual swelling up to 6 to even 12 months post liposuction. Swelling is usually worst in the first 24-48 hours. Make sure to convey your concerns to your plastic surgeon. If asymmetric swelling of the arms or calves and pain persist/increase, call your surgeon immediately. Wishing you a smooth recovery!

Millicent Odunze-Geers, MD, MPH
Sacramento Physician

VASER Lipo--Post-op Irregularities/Swelling

Swelling is normal in all areas after Vaser liposuction. In my practice all of my patients have a post op protocol they follow. I suggest talking to your physician about the type of garment you are wearing, I use a full CAT suit stretching down to the wrists and ankles. That keeps swelling minimal and the healing process much faster. With that I suggest lymphatic massages to reduce the fluid build up post Vaser Lipo. Please call with your treating physician as to what his or her protocol might be postoperative or if you have symptoms that are worsening. Best regards, Dr. Berger

Andre Berger, MD
Beverly Hills Physician