Would you recommend no massage after Sculptra?

I just had scupltra for the first time and I asked my PS about massage. I have used him for a variety of treatments over the years but not this one. He said not to massage, that he had done so sufficiently post injection. Everything I see on the interwebs says the generic 5/5/5 rule. Are there other doctors that don't recommend massage and what have their outcomes been like?

Massage after sculptra

I have administered Sculptra since it was first introduced into the United States in 2004. Over the years I have used a number of different techniques for adminstration, preparation of the product, and post treatment care.  While I normally do recommend my patients massage Sculptra after injection, there is no absolute proof that this will make a difference in the final outcome.

Nashville Oculoplastic Surgeon

Massaging after Sculptra

There is no harm in massage and it would be prudent to massage the area to avoid lumps. That is the advice we give our patients, but your doctor may use a different technique that may not require massage. I would discuss your concerns with him and the reason for his avoidance of post-treatment massage.

Dr. Karamanoukian
Los Angeles

Raffy Karamanoukian, MD, FACS

Massage after Sculptra Injection

Thank you for your question.  It is definitely recommended to massage the area that is injected with Sculptra at least 5 times per day in 5 minute increments for the first 5 days.  This reduces the risk of hardness and lumps under the skin after treatment. 

R. Scott Yarish, MD

Massage After Sculptra

Facial massage after sculptra helps evenly distribute the product across the face and create a more natural result.  The rule of 5's is commonly adhered to protocol involving 5 minutes of massage for 5 times a day for the first 5 days.

Anil R. Shah, MD
Chicago Facial Plastic Surgeon

Sculptra and massage

Sculptra is a fabulous injection to build collagen and rejuvenate the face. After injections it is important to follow the rules of fives. Massage five times a day for five minutes for a total of five days. Massaging helps to distribute the product and provide great results. 

Massage After Sculptra

I ask my patients to follow the 5/5/5 rule after Sculptra injections. They should massage the treatment area for five minutes, five times per day, for 5 days. Massage helps to prevent uneven distribution of the product which could lead to the formation of small nodules under the skin.

Steven M. Daines, MD
Newport Beach Facial Plastic Surgeon

Massage after Sculptra

Dear MissMJ:

Massage, Massage, Massage!

If you feel a nodule, return to your injector to evaluate it. Nodularity develops because there is too much stimulation of collagen formation in one spot. For this reason, consistent and compliant massage is recommended.

Good luck!

Dean P. Kane, MD, FACS