Can you shrink pore size? Is it possible with IPL?

I want to shrink my pores on my cheeks, close to my nose. Is it possible with IPL? I have no other skin conserns. I'm scared to undergo this procedure since I'm fairly young (34) with no other ageing issues (for the moment)

Try Halo!

Great question! Unfortunately IPL won't affect pore size. This is because the IPL doesn't target pores, but instead is looking for pigment to treat. A great option for decreasing pore size is the Halo laser! I've treated a number of patients with this laser who had large pores and they swear by it. After the treatment friends have commented to them about how good their skin looks. The Halo not only treats pore size but also treats skin texture and pigment at the same time! I hope this helps and best of luck in your area!

Making Pores Less Visible

Hello, and thank you for your question! There are several ways to make pores less visible, and most of them have to do with reducing the size of the pilo-sebaceous unit (a.k.a. sweat glad) at the base of the pore. Less oil being produced means that the opening of the pore does not need to be as big, leading to fewer visible imperfections in the skin. The two most common ways to do this are retinoids (such as oral accutane or topical retin-a or retinol) and non-ablative lasers such as the Laser Genesis (a gentle, no-downtime laser which is very good at improving skin tone and quality, and reducing pore size). IPL will remove pigment, which will improve your skin's appearance, but will not do much for the pores themselves. I hope this helps and good luck!

Improving Skin Texture with PicoFOCUS

I can appreciate your concerns and address them with our patients daily.  We have had great success treating these described issues with the PicoSure Laser with the FOCUS lens array.  We normally recommend a series of 4 treatments, once  every 4 weeks.  This treatment is non-ablative and has almost no downtime.  You will typically have a flushed complexion for 0-2 hours.  You can put your make-up on and go back to work.  After your initial visit, a typical PicoFOCUS appointment is less than 1 hour. 

The PicoFOCUS gently delivers bursts of energy deep in the dermis without causing harm to the overlaying skin.  The pulses work to break up pigment and stimulates new collagen and elastin production.  Your body’s own healing process sweeps away older, damaged tissue and ramps up skin turnover.  We sometimes pair the PicoFOCUS with a Pelleve treatment for additional skin tightening.

We recommend finding an experienced physician in your area.  Treatment prices vary by market.

Laura Riehm, MD
Fort Worth Physician

IPL for pores

Thank you for your question Juliettan. IPL is a great treatment for facial rejuvenation. It is used for improvement in color and redness. However many patients find an improvement in fine lines and pores after a series of treatments. In our office we find this works well in combination with other treatments which use infrared light such as photorevelation, laser genesis, or Skin Tyte. For my patients I recommend a series of 6 initial treatments spaced once per month follow by maintenance treatments once every 3 months. I also recommend that my patients use a good topical skin care regimen with ingredients such as retinoids and hydroxyl acids. Please consult with a doctor for specific recommendations. Good luck!

Alex Eshaghian, MD, PhD
Encino Physician

Can you shrink pores?

Scientifically speaking, no you cannot shrink your pore size or change it. BUT you can work to camouflage it better by evening out skin tone and color. So IPL is a good treatment for this, so is Laser Genesis. Also, many people find Accutane to help with pore size as it does actually alter the pores themselves. And finally, a Clarisonic is actually great too because it has special treatment heads for large pores that work to clean out gunk in there that simply can't be cleaned out any other way. Whatever you chose to do make sure you see a professional and don't get treatments based on Groupons or specials. If you are trying to treat a problem, see an expert. "This answer has been solicited without seeing this patient and cannot be held as true medical advice, but only opinion. Seek in-person treatment with a trained medical professional for appropriate care."

Thanks for your query. IPL works very less for shrinking the pore size. You should go in for fraxel or Thermi for better results. Hope it helps.

All The Best

Ajaya Kashyap, MD
India Plastic Surgeon

Shrinking pore size

For pore size, the halo laser is an excellent option, and a better alternative than ipl. Consult in person with an experienced and expert board certified physician who can provide you alternatives.

Kris M. Reddy, MD, FACS