How Much Does Surgery Cost for Hyperhidrosis? (photo)

i am a 16 year old girl who suffers from excessive armpit sweating i sweat to the point were it will soak my shirt all the way down my side and drip down my arms even when i am cold i sweat it is litterally ruining my life. but i fear that my parents wont be able to pay for the teatment or surgery. how much dose treatment or surgery usually cost? and dose insurance pay for it?

Axillary shaving - $5000+; consider miraDry - less invasive and less expensive

Axillary shaving is a procedure where the surgeon goes into the armpit and manually destroys the sweat glands.  This procedure costs ~$5000 plus operating room and anesthesia time.
MiraDry is a noninvasive procedure that is done in the office.  It destroys sweat glands using microwave technology.  Patients typically have a  >90% reduction with just one treatment.  The cost of miraDry is ~$2000.  A small percentage of patients will need a second treatment, and a very small percentage will not respond.  miraDry is a game-changer in the field of axillary hyperhidrosis.

How Much Does Surgery Cost for Hyperhidrosis?

We offer Precision Tx sweat gland ablation with the 1440 nm computer-controlled laser from Cynosure. In a single treatment, this procedure reduces sweating 80%, allowing patients relief from excessive sweating concerns. This is an in-office procedure done under local anesthetic, takes about an hour, has little down-time or post-op discomfort, and costs about 3,000. 

Robert M. Lowen, MD
Mountain View Plastic Surgeon

Miradry in Los Angeles

The Miradry system works well for axillary hyperhidrosis and armpit sweating. The procedure is performed in an outpatient setting. Raffy Karamanoukian, Los Angeles

Raffy Karamanoukian, MD, FACS

Precision TX for Hyperhidrosis

I thank you for your question as it is not something that is easy to discuss. There is a wonderful treatment option called Precision TX which I offer on an outpatient basis. With one single treatment it is possible to achieve up to 80% sweat reduction which is permanent. A good estimate for treatment price in my practice is a flat $4500 which includes your procedure fee, facility fee, as well as anesthesia fee so that there are no hidden surprises later on. Financing is always an option with some great plans available to choose from.
My patients handle this procedure very well and are faced with very little down time or recovery. I typically have not seen insurance cover this type of procedure although I encourage my patients to research all avenues. The Precision TX offers a wonderful answer to hyperhidrosis for patients who are done battling excessive sweat and discomfort. I hope that you have found this information helpful and I wish you luck! 

Ronald Downs, MD, FACS
South Bend Plastic Surgeon

Our office specializes in Miraday. Miradry just got FDA clearance for elimination of all hair colors under the arm. It also has clearance for the elimination of underarm sweating and odor. Much cheaper than botox and permanent.

Sheila S. Nazarian, MD

Hyperhidrosis treatment cost

Surgery for hyperhidrosis of the axilla can be very costly. A safer new technological advancement, which uses radiofrequency heat to destroy sweat glands in the axilla area, is called miraDry. It permanently reduces hyperhidrosis of the armpits after two treatments. The price range is usually around $3,000.

Joshua L. Fox, MD
Long Island Dermatologic Surgeon

Treatment Cost for Hyperhidrosis

Thank you for your question. The treatment cost for hyperhidrosis is coming down. Botox use to be the only option and would typically run about $1000 every 6 months. Now there is Precision TX, which is an out patient procedure, under local anesthesia. Typically patients will get 90% permanent reduction of axillary sweating. This should cost around $3000 depending on where you live. Good luck.

Steven L. Ringler, MD, FACS
Grand Rapids Plastic Surgeon

You should consider using Celllulaze for permanent treatment

i am using the Cellulaze laser by Cynosure for off label use. it takes about 30 minutes in the office under local. there are 1-2 three mm incisions per side. it may significantly decreasing or stop almost all the sweating with one treatment. it may last years or could be permanent (we don't know that yet).

i have been very pleased with my results to date.

david berman md

board certified plastic surgeon

David E. Berman, MD
Sterling Plastic Surgeon

Precision TX for Hyperhydrosis- Excessive Sweating

The precision treatment is a great laser 30 minute procedure to markedly improve excessive sweating.  It is performed in a minimally invasive procedure with very little or no down time.  It is a long term treatment unlike Botox.

Mark Berkowitz, MD
Sterling Heights Oculoplastic Surgeon

Armpit sweating - axillary hyperhidrosis surgery

I usually consider three medical/surgical treatment options once a patient has exhausted efforts to reduce axillary (armpit) hyperhidrosis (sweating).  The most common is the use of Botox or an equivalent neurotoxin (Dysport, Xeomin).  All are effective, but the duration of action will depend on how much you put in.  It can last anywhere from 2-6 months and can cost anywhere from $800 - 1500 / treatment depending the price and amount used.  miraDry is a new device that permanently reduces sweating.  It requires 2-3 treatments and can be as effective as Botox, but once you've completed your treatment series, you are done.  This usually costs $3000-4000 depending on whether you need more than 2 treatment sessions.  Axillary shaving is a techique that I use to surgically remove the sweat glands from the armpits.  Insurance may cover this but it is hit or miss.  Your out of pocket costs are ~5000, and includes the facility fee and anesthesia fee.  This is also a permanent reduction in sweat.  All three options are effective, but in the long run, the Botox option becomes the most expensive as you have to repeat this 2-3 times a year.  My recommendation is start with miraDry and use surgery as your last resort.  Hope this helps and good luck.