Is it safe to have a third Cool Sculpting session on my abdomen?

HI, I have had 2 sessions of CS on my abdomen (lower - with large applicator) done but want to go in for a 3rd time. 1> Would that be harmful to me in anyway? 2> Its been about 4 months since my last session. Is it the right time to get the 3rd session? 3>I have experienced a lot of pain with each treatment. What is the best OTC medication I can use(my doctor does prescribe something but I was wondering if there was anything milder and effective) Thanks & regards

Coolsculpting

I appreciate your question.
You might need more treatments 
The best way to assess and give true advice would be an in-person exam.
Please see a board-certified plastic surgeon that specializes in aesthetic and restorative plastic surgery.

best of luck!

Dr Schwartz

Repeating Coolsculpting Procedure

There are many times that patients repeat the coolsculpting procedure.  There are times you need to repeat the same area for an added benefit or need to have different areas sculpted for the best results. For example, when treating the abdominal area, you may need to treat the flanks as well to have the best results.  Coolsculpting is a great procedure with proven results.

CoolSculpting

At 4 months post CoolSculpting treatment it is safe to have another treatment on your abdomen. As for pain recommendation I recommend Extra strength Tylenol (if no allergy or contraindication is present). 

Martin Jugenburg, MD

CoolSculpting Treatment to Transformation

Dear kanika910:

For a variety of reasons such as:
  • medical risk
  • obesity
  • afraid of surgery
  • very localized fat bulge
  • time for surgery and recovery concerns
  • and many others,
patient choose CoolSculpting (CS) treatments rather than surgical liposuction or skin and fat removal (tummy tuck, thigh lift, arm lift, etc.). 

You may perform CS treatments as often as you see improvement. When this patchwork of serial procedures is done, a liposuction-like result occurs called Treatment to Transformation. 

Many of our patients make it a morning or afternoon procedure, like a "spa" day to remove small bulges of fat on a monthly schedule. 

For many, it is quite motivating and they go on to lifestyle changes in diet and exercise and lose the weight primarily in the CS areas but elsewhere too. 

Pain can be associated with CS; patient tolerance is different. Some may be okay with tylenol or ibuprofen others will need strong pain medications.

Please consult with a Certified CoolSculpting Physician or Board Certified Plastic Surgeon to determine what is best for you. 

All the best!

Dean P. Kane, MD, FACS

Multiple CoolSculpting sessions

Dear kanika910:

At times patients decide to undergo CoolSculpting rather than liposuction, understanding that multiple treatments will be required for someone starting out with a thicker layer of adipose tissue.  There is no reason one cannot have multiple treatments to the same or adjacent areas, and at four months, it is unlike you will perceive further significant benefit without another treatment.

I am not sure what type of pain you are having, and whether it is at the beginning or immediately after the treatment, or in the days or weeks afterward.  If you have a history of Raynaud's, the treatment can be more painful.  For pain at the beginning or immediately after treatment, I would recommend 800 mg of ibuprofen.  For tenderness that often occurs for up to two weeks after the procedure and is generally mild, I would recommend Tylenol.  This can be combined with ibuprofen if Tylenol is insufficient.  For the very rare occurrence of more severe pain, gabapentin is very effective but is not an OTC medication.

Sheryl D. Clark, MD

A 3rd treatment to the abdomen

In some cases patients looking to remove more fat may be capable of having a third treatment to an area. My recomendation for the pain would be Tylenol.

Paul Vitenas, Jr., MD

Safety of Multiple CoolSculpting Treatments

If you still have fat in the area, then it is ok to have another CoolSculpting treatment done. Four months after your last treatment is actually a good time to get re-treated. As far as the pain goes, you can try and control it with Tylenol or Ibuprofen. 

Michael A. Zadeh, MD, FACS
Sherman Oaks General Surgeon

Multiple Coolsculpting sessions on one area

Hi There!
Your experienced Coolsculpting practitioner should be able to let you know at the outset how many procedures you can expect to require to achieve your optimal results.  If that is three sessions, that's ok.

Sheila S. Nazarian, MD

Coolsculpting Questions

Thank you for your question. It is considered safe to have more than one coolsculpting treatment on your abdomen. Enough time has elapsed for you to have another treatment. I have never had to prescribe any pain medication or sedative for any of my patients undergoing coolsculpting. I would suggest tylenol for your discomfort. Good luck.