Incisions site itching 12 days post op BA. Any suggestions?

Hi all! My incisions site is starting to itch. Its the whole length of this incision and whatever they used to cover it up (steri strips?). It's so bad it woke me in the night and it's almost a painful itch. What can I do? Is it safe to apply any creams or should I try a special soap? Thank you!

Incision Site Itching

This can be a common occurrence after any type of surgery!  Itching along incision lines as your body begins the healing process can be a bit annoying for some, while others tolerate the sensation with little bother. The sensations fade with time, and usually stop after a week or two.

San Antonio Plastic Surgeon

Itchiness at incision site

Itching can be a common side affect following a breast augmentation surgery. Typically, this is a normal sign of healing and will resolve itself over time.  You may also have an allergic reaction from the adhesive and/or product that was used on your incision site. I would advise you to call your plastic surgeon to discuss other helpful options such as Benadryl to alleviate your discomfort. Good luck! 

Brian S. Glatt, MD, FACS
Morristown Plastic Surgeon

Unfortunately, itching can be a normal and frustrating part of recovery as your incisions heal. This will typically resolve within a week or two. You could ask your Plastic Surgeon if they have any advice to help you alleviate discomfort.

All the best

Thank you for your question. It would be helpful to provide a photo. Itching is not unusual. You can try Benedryl cream, or a sparing amount of Hydrocortisone cream twice a day for 1 week. Best of luck

Itching along the incision

Itching typically happens because your body is healing. If there is associated redness or a rash then you may have an allergy to the steri strip or adhesive. Benadryl can be helpful but discuss other options with your surgeon. This will go away with time. I hope this helps. 

Josh Olson MD

Itching Incisions

Thank you for your question. It is very normal to have itching at the incision site postoperative. Typically it's a sign of healing. Try to rub the area rather than scratching to allow optimal healing. If it purists or you start to get more irritated you should check with your surgeon. 

John Allan Ness, MD
Minneapolis Plastic Surgeon

Itching after breast augmentation at the incision site is common.  Most of the time it is self limiting.  Medical management is indicated if severe.
Call you surgeon.
Best Wishes,
Nana Mizuguchi, MD

Nana N. Mizuguchi, MD, FACS

Breast augmentation incision itching

Itching around a new incision is very normal and likely a sign of healthy healing. The most important thing is not to scratch at the incisions, as this could lead to infections from bacteria under your nails seeding the incision sites.

If the incisions are itching so much as to wake you up from sleep, I recommend that you be evaluated by your plastic surgeon. You will want to make sure you are not having an allergic reaction to the post operative tape or the sutures used to close the incisions. After an exam your plastic surgeon may recommend a treatment based on what is likely causing the itching.

Best Regards,
Dr. Stutman

Ross Stutman, MD