Do I need to be at my goal weight before having cool sculpting done?

Goal Weight Before Coolsculpting Treatment

You will have better results of Coolsculpting if you are within 15-20 pounds of your goal weight. Please discuss your concerns with your physician. 

Summit Emergency Medicine Physician

CoolSculpting Candidate

It is suggested to be near your goal weight to have the best results with CoolSculpting.  There is no restriction of getting CoolSculpting if you are farther away from your goal weight, it just may cost a lot more since you may need multiple treatments to try to reach your ideal body goals.  

Jeffrey Hartog, MD

Thank you for your question. You do not need to be near your goal weight to have coolsculpting. If you were close to your goal weight Coolsculpting would likely enhance your physique more than if you were further away. Hope that helps. Good luck. 

Arun Rao, MD
Tucson Plastic Surgeon

Losing Weight Before CoolSculpting

Thank you very much for your question. Although you do not need to be at be at your goal weight before having CoolSculpting, keep in mind, the technique is only designed to address isolated areas of fat. The procedure cannot substitute for weight loss. To ensure you get the most out of your CoolSculpting treatment, you should be at a stable weight that is close to your goal, and looking to eliminate stubborn, solitary fatty deposits. My recommendation is that that you schedule a consultation with a board certified plastic surgeon, experienced in body sculpting procedures. He/she can perform an in-person examination and review your medical history, creating a body sculpting treatment plan that suits your individual needs.

Paul Vitenas, Jr., MD

Goal weight and CoolSculpting

Most of my patients have better outcomes with CoolSculpting if they are within around 20 pounds of their goal weight.  It is important to discuss expectations of treatment prior to proceeding with CoolSclulpting to make sure you are happy with the outcomes.  

Jill C. Fichtel, MD
Columbus Dermatologic Surgeon

It is best to be near goal weight... around 15 pounds to goal is best.  I have found that Coolsculpting can help on your way to your weight loss goal because the changes you will see will make you feel like the sacrifices are worth it and you will keep going.

Sheila S. Nazarian, MD

Coolsculpting/Sculpsure/Liposuction/Body Contouring/ High Definition Procedures

I appreciate your question.

Coolsculpting will remove cells in that treatment area.This does not correlate with weight loss but does give you a localized improvement. 
If you want a larger improvement, surgery such as liposuction will do this and shape larger areas.
The best way to assess and give true advice would be an in-person exam.
Please see a board-certified plastic surgeon that specializes in aesthetic and restorative plastic surgery.

Dr. Schwartz

Goal Weight for Cool Sculpting

Cool Sculpting can treat the fat that we can pinch and pull. Ideally you want to be close to your ideal weight because I would assume you want the best results for the least investment. Remember it takes an area down on average of 22% so the added volume will translate in to more treatments. So, an in person consultation would be best at a reputable location you trust to assess the areas you want improvement. Everyone's problem areas are different but in short, closer to healthy weight is best but not essential. Hope that helps. 

Robert Heck, MD, FACS
Columbus Plastic Surgeon

Goal weight before treatment with Coolsculpting

It is not necessary to get to your goal weight. It is possible to treat if your are within 15% of your ideal weight. Coolsculpting can only treat pinchable fat. Cooladvantage handpieces and Zimmer Z wave help to get better results.

Steven F. Weiner, MD

There are two ways I view this question and to be  honest this applies equally to liposuction as well as Cool Sculpting cryolipolysis. 

Both methods of removing fat are not methods for weight loss and certainly for liposuction studies have proven this. These methodologies, differing as they are, are most effective when used to contour the body in specific anatomical sites where there is a local contour disparity, fullness or excess, hence the areas for which we have protocols to be treated by Cool Sculpting. Weight loss regimens are to some degree almost a separate, distinct issue but in general I would say complete your weight loss prior to Cool Sculpting. However there are times for a sub set of patients where a session of Cool Sculpting can help to support and encourage a weight loss programme.

Best wishes in the pursuit off your aesthetic goals.

Tariq Ahmad, MBBChir, FRCS(Plast)
London Plastic Surgeon