Can I get a referral for tattoo removal and laser hair removal from my family doctor?

Tattoo Removal

It is not necessary to have a referral from your doctor. This is considered "cosmetic" and most insurance will not cover a procedure like this anyways.  I would reccommend a follow up with a provider that has experience with tattoo removal. 

Tattoo removal

A referral from you Primary care provider is not needed. I would recommend follow up with a reputable provider in Tattoo removal.

Finding the Right Doctor--Laser Hair Removal, Laser Tattoo Removal

You can, but it's not necessary. I recommend looking to get a formal consultation with a tattoo removal expert and/or laser hair removal expert. Best, Dr. Emer

Can I get a referral for a tattoo removal and laser hair removal from my family doctor?

Hello, thank you for your question. Laser tattoo removal and laser hair removal are both considered "cosmetic" treatments, therefore insurance will not pay for any portion of these treatments.  It would be good to have a referral from your family doctor to make sure that you are going to a provider with proper licensing and equipment. Other than that, it is not necessary to have any kind of referral for these procedures.

Good Luck!

Mark A. Blair, MD
Phoenix Dermatologic Surgeon