Can I get a referral for tattoo removal and laser hair removal from my family doctor?

Referrals and laser services

Referrals from your family doctor are not necessary for laser hair or tattoo removal unless you suffer from certain conditions that would require consultation with an expert as well as with your family doctor. Nevertheless, it is necessary to have it done by certified provider. Either way, cosmetic procedure such as laser hair and tattoo removals are not covered by insurance. Best of luck!

Summit Emergency Medicine Physician

Tattoo Removal

It is not necessary to have a referral from your doctor. This is considered "cosmetic" and most insurance will not cover a procedure like this anyways.  I would reccommend a follow up with a provider that has experience with tattoo removal. 

Michele S. Green, MD

Tattoo removal

A referral from you Primary care provider is not needed. I would recommend follow up with a reputable provider in Tattoo removal.

Kristin J. Tarbet MD, FACS
Bellevue Oculoplastic Surgeon

Finding the Right Doctor--Laser Hair Removal, Laser Tattoo Removal

You can, but it's not necessary. I recommend looking to get a formal consultation with a tattoo removal expert and/or laser hair removal expert. Best, Dr. Emer

Can I get a referral for a tattoo removal and laser hair removal from my family doctor?

Hello, thank you for your question. Laser tattoo removal and laser hair removal are both considered "cosmetic" treatments, therefore insurance will not pay for any portion of these treatments.  It would be good to have a referral from your family doctor to make sure that you are going to a provider with proper licensing and equipment. Other than that, it is not necessary to have any kind of referral for these procedures.

Good Luck!

Mark A. Blair, MD
Phoenix Dermatologic Surgeon