Botox left in defrosting fridge over the weekend, would it still be okay for use? I think there might have been a power outage

Botox left in defrosting fridge

According to Allergan, Botox should be stored in a refrigerator to ensure efficacy of the product. If you believe your product could have been potentially compromised, I would suggest calling Allergan to find out their recommendations.

Columbus Physician

Botox left out of frige

there is no problem. in discussions with Allergan in the past despite the package insert I was told you can use it after reconstitution for some time (at least 6 weeks) whether refrigerated or not

Melvin Elson, MD
Nashville Dermatologist

What happens to Botox if not refrigerated

A handful of years ago New Hampshire was hit with severe snow and ice storms, resulting in widespread power outages across the state. As a result, there was no refrigeration for 5 to 7 days and we had several vials of Botox on hand. Worried about the effect of lack of refrigeration, I called Allergan. Their answer- go ahead and use it it's fine and does NOT need to be thrown out or replaced. In their EXACT words, "We learned something during Hurricane Katrina." That natural disaster of course left many many locations without power for extended periods of time. Botox vials which were affected were subsequently evaluated and used and there were no issues. I then asked, 'Well if that's the case why do you still ship it on dry ice?" They said well we have always done it that way so we're not going to change. We still recommend refrigeration (because that's what we have been saying previously) but we expect no problems in terms of the potency of your vials since they were not exposed to "extreme heat". I tested a vial out on myself, it worked as expected and the use of the other vials was also uneventful. We still refrigerate all of our toxins because, well, it's keeping it at a consistent temperature I guess!

Lisa Vuich, MD

Lisa Vuich, MD
Nashua Physician

Botox left in defrosting refrigerator

Thank you for your question caroline morgan. Botox should be stored in a refrigerator before or after reconstitution. If it has either been left at room temperature for prolonged periods or in a defrosting refrigerator over a weekend the potency of the product may be compromised. Full effects may not been seen and patients may not enjoy their results for the full three to four months. I recommend using product that has not been left at room temperature or in a defrosting refrigerator for prolonged periods. In our office we transfer our Botox to another refrigerator when our main refrigerator is defrosting. Good luck!

Alex Eshaghian, MD, PhD
Encino Physician

Botox left warm

Once Botox has been reconstituted, it needs to be refrigerated. It is a protein which will degrade if not kept properly refrigerated. There will likely be no complications other than lack of potency due to degradation. I would advise discarding any medication that has not been properly refrigerated as this drug will be injected into individuals who are expecting that you have followed proper drug handling.

Edwin Ishoo, MD
Cambridge Facial Plastic Surgeon

Does Botox have to be kept refrigerated?

Thank you for sharing your question. Botox still works even when kept at room temperature; however, it may be less effective. Given that it was still in your refrigerator and only for a few hours, it likely will be unchanged. I hope this helps. Good luck,