Any way FUE Hair Transplants could be covered by insurance?

Is there ANY health condition (mental or physical) where FUE hair transplants could be covered by insurance?

Hair transplant and Insurance

As this is a cosmetic procedure,I am not aware of any insurance companies that will cover the costs of the procedure. We have tried at our clinic and have had no luck with the insurance companies.

Irvine Hair Restoration Surgeon

FUE transplants and insurance

In my entire career of over 15,000 surgeries, I have had insurance cover less than a dozen patients. A few had scars from an accident and it was covered as part of the reconstruction and people who had injuries from car accidents often can claim insurance if there was disgnificant damage require cosmetic surgery. 

William Rassman, MD
Los Angeles Hair Restoration Surgeon

FUE and Insurance Coverage

Generally the answer is no.  The consider it a cosmetic procedure and not a medical necessity.

If you have hair loss due to a medical condition or scarring you may be able to get reimbursed by some insurances.  You need to get pre-qualification from your insurance before doing the procedure.  We have had it.  It is challenging but doable.

Parsa Mohebi, MD
Beverly Hills Hair Restoration Surgeon

No

Hair transplant surgery is a cosmetic procedure.  FUE is just a way of harvesting the hairs for a hair transplant procedure.  A cosmetic procedure is not covered by health insurance.

Jae Pak, MD
Los Angeles Hair Restoration Surgeon