After FUE Hair Transplants, what do a person need to know for aftercare?

Are there any special shampoos or brushes one need to buy? Do they need to sleep sitting up? What about excessive sweating, heat, or cold? Will any of that ruin my results?

After FUE Transplant

I have patients wash their scalp with Baby shampoo for the first 2 weeks after their procedure.  If you sleep in a semi sitting up position for example in a Lazy Boy Recliner, it is possible it will help with some swelling from the procedure.  I would recommend no excessive sweating, heat, or cold.  Take it easy for the first week or so as this is a delicate procedure.

Irvine Hair Restoration Surgeon

After FUE Transplant

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

Irvine Hair Restoration Surgeon

Care I Need After FUE Hair Transplant

FUE transplant is less invasive that a traditional strip procedure. It is also less demanding after the procedure and has less limitations. Of course different clinics may have different set of recommendations but the principles should be the same.

We bring the patients back the first day after a hair transplant procedure for evaluation and hair wash. We show them how they have to wash their hair for the fist few days after the procedure. We provide especial shampoo and sponge that the can use for the first two weeks after the procedure.

Patients need to sleep in semi-sitting position after their hair restoration. That helps them get rid of their swelling faster and prevents accidental touching of the transplanted areas at night.

We recommend avoiding strenuous exerciser for the fits few days, but they could be resumed in the second day. The only activities that should be avoided for the first week are contact sports and any activities that they have to touch and rub the transplanted area.

There is not much limitations after the first few days for being exposed to excessive heat, cold or sweating.

Parsa Mohebi, MD
Beverly Hills Hair Restoration Surgeon

Care I Need After FUE Hair Transplant

Parsa Mohebi, MD
Beverly Hills Hair Restoration Surgeon

No

No absolutes here.  

All doctors give you their own post-operative care.  

A good clinic / doctor will give you all the post-operative care, shampoo, medications, (basically everything you need all included so you don't have to buy any extra items), including even the doctor's personal mobile phone number and direct email so if you have any questions you can contact the doctor directly.

Jae Pak, MD
Los Angeles Hair Restoration Surgeon

No

No absolutes here.  

Jae Pak, MD
Los Angeles Hair Restoration Surgeon

Special Care Is Needed After an FUE Hair Transplant

The night of your hair transplant and for the next few nights, you should sleep with your head elevated on pillows.

The morning after your hair transplant surgery, you should remove the headband placed on your scalp at the end of your hair transplant procedure. The first day, you should shower and shampoo your scalp three times. You’ll want to wash your hair gently, but thoroughly, so that the scalp is free of any blood.

For the remainder of the week, you should shower twice a day (we instruct our patients to gently clean the transplanted area with a special shampoo, GraftCyte, when showering). Your follicular unit grafts are made to fit snugly into your recipient sites and will not be dislodged in the shower if you follow the instructions given to you by your surgeon. After your first shower, no further bandages are required.

Although you must be very gentle initially, normal shampooing, brushing and hair care can be resumed after ten days since, by this time, the grafts are firmly in place. You can also have a haircut at this point. You are able to dye your hair, if you choose, four weeks after the hair transplant.

You should avoid alcohol for three days following your hair replacement procedure and abstain from smoking for two weeks. When in strong sunlight, you should wear a hat. After two weeks you may use a sunscreen with a SPF of 30+.

Generally after a FUE hair transplant patients can resume normal daily routine almost immediately. Exercise can be started the second day following your procedure. For the first 10 days, you should avoid any activities that rub or put direct pressure on your scalp.

Hair transplant aftercare

In regards to typical recovery, patients will vary in terms of how long it takes them to recover from their hair transplant procedures. In general, most people need three to four days in order to heal. After that, they may get on with their lives and resume their typical daily activities.

After the three to four-day healing process is finished, the follicles will be under the scalp. Infection risk will be quite low at this point. As well, any discomfort which relates to the operation should ease by the time that three or four days has passed.

With this in mind, you should plan some downtime after your operation. It might be three days or it might be a week. It depends on your schedule. Be sure to take time to rest and heal after your hair transplant. 

ADDITIONAL TIPS

Scabs from a hair transplant tend to start falling off after a week to ten days. If you get an FUE or FUD hair transplant, you should know that you’ll need to wash your scalp with very gentle shampoo, such as baby shampoo, and that you may need to take medications in order to manage discomfort right after your procedure. Ointments, antibacterial solutions and other health care products may be recommended in order to remove crusts from grafts.

After your procedure, take care of yourself by avoiding scratching or hitting your head. Nothing should touch your head during this time, except when you are touching it to perform aftercare as directed by your surgeon. As well, you should drink plenty of fluids and stay away from sugar and salt. Sleep with two pillows in order to keep your head in an upright position.

Hair transplant aftercare

ADDITIONAL TIPS

Hair Transplant Post op Care Package

Your performing hair restoration surgeon and clinic should provide you with thorough post op instructions after your procedure as well as a post op care package that includes shampoo, conditioner, tonic and post op ointments. 

Hair Transplant Post op Care Package

Hair transplant aftercare

It is important to follow your surgeons instructions regarding aftercare with FUE surgery. In our office, we see the patient back the next day and wash the donor area with antibmicrobial soap and water.  We then apply antibiotic ointment on the donor area. The recipient area is sprayed with saline (salt water) to ensure the grafts are clean and free of crust. We tend to see the patients back a few times that first week. We instruct our patients to apply antibiotic ointment to the donor area twice a day, and start washing the donor area in the shower around 2 days after surgery. I do not require any special shampoo but I recommend patients use antimicrobial soap to wash the donor area. The soapy water can then run over the recipient area grafts, but the shower head water should not hit the grafts until around 7 days after surgery. After 7 days, the entire head can be washed with soap and water and the shower head water can directly hit the grafts at this point. I also recommend minoxidil after 7 days. I do no require patients to sleep in any particular position but they should be careful not to bump the grafts, particular during that first week.

Hair transplant aftercare

After an FUE, what do I have to know?

An FUE is treated just like a regular hair transplant with regard to the recipient area, but the donor area has open wounds which require daily washing with soap and water (a good shampoo works well). Within 3 days of surgery, you can resume full activities, heavy exercises if you wish but do not wear a helmet as they will disturb the grafts and the donor area (wist 2 weeks for a helmet). The recipient area requires daily washes as well to keep the recipient area free of crusts. I generally recommend the use of a sponge and supply my patient with a surgical sponge to fill with soapy water and press on the recipient area daily. By repeating this daily, all crusts can be washed off without any fear of losing grafts. IF any crust are present, use a Q tip and dip it into soapy water, and roll it on the crusts and that will lift them off without dislodging them, but never rub them, just roll the Q tip on the recipient crust. I like to see no evidence of any crusting in the recipient area and the crusts from the donor area gone in 7-10 days with daily washing,.

William Rassman, MD
Los Angeles Hair Restoration Surgeon

After an FUE, what do I have to know?

William Rassman, MD
Los Angeles Hair Restoration Surgeon

Post op after FUE hair transplant procedure what is involved?

Each clinic has their own individualized after care,  but in essence they are very similar.  Your hair restoration specialist should give you a post op care which would conclude special shampoo and sponge for washing for the first 7 days and review the post op care instructions with you. the first few days are crucial and patient needs to be careful about how to wash and be very gentle .  After the 10th day, you can return to normal washing routine.   We like to see our clients one day post op and sometimes two weeks after the procedure,to make sure that the cleaning is done properly and check the healing progress. 

Michael Meshkin, MD
Newport Beach Hair Restoration Surgeon

Michael Meshkin, MD
Newport Beach Hair Restoration Surgeon

Post operative informations after hair transplant surgery

A professional clinic should basically  inform you after your hair surgery about the below mentioned questions about recovery period.

How you can wash your hair after hair transplant surgery?
Which medications you should use for the recovery?
How you should sleep not to harm the recipient zone?
What to eat or drink during the recovery period?
Common mistakes that patients make during the recovery period?
Which physical activities should be avoided?

Of course the best information is the one that your doctor will give.