When can I start doing pull ups again after breast augmentation?

I would like to know when I can start doing pull ups/ push ups after breast implant surgery. Would doing these exercises increase the risk of capsular contraction?

Working Out after a Breast Augmentation

Returning to your regular workout routine after a breast augmentation is important to many of my patients. I explain to my patients that an average full recovery is 6 weeks after their breast augmentation. During this 6-week healing process, any strenuous impact on the chest muscles should be avoided. In terms of exercise, aerobic activity is limited for the first 10 days, as elevation of blood pressure could cause bleeding. At 2 to 3 weeks you can resume isolated low weight/ high repetition maneuvers like working biceps/triceps curls and hamstrings/quad repetitions. It is advised to avoid heavy lifting, push-ups, pull-ups, or any strenuous impact on the chest muscle for up to 6 weeks. Be sure to discuss a post-op recovery plan with your board-certified surgeon.

When can I do pull ups/push ups after breast augmentaiton?

By six weeks after breast augmentation, you should be able to resume your upper body exercise routine provided that you gradually build yourself back up to your pre-surgery routine.  Check with your plastic surgeon and good luck.

John Zavell, MD, FACS
Toledo Plastic Surgeon

Pull ups after breast augmentation

Once you have recovered, pull ups can be safely performed without increasing your risk of developing capsular contracture. Because this is quite an intensive exercise, it’s best to wait at least 8 weeks after your surgery. However, I suggest you ask your surgeon as they will be more familiar with your situation.

Exercise after breast augmentation

Thank you for your question. Every surgeon will have his/her own preferences as to recovery for specific procedures. I suggest you wait at least 3 weeks before running or exercise. It's best to be sure that everything is healed. There is always a chance of causing bleeding if you start much before that time. When you start, listen to your body. You will be a little out of condition and a bit sore. But you will get back to where you were before surgery very quickly.  Wishing you a speedy recovery!

When can I start doing pull ups again after breast augmentation

I would suggest waiting at least 4 weeks, and maybe 6, if the implants were placed below the muscle.

Julio Garcia, MD

Exercise after Breast Augmentation

As you've seen from the other doctors, 6 weeks of healing is the minimum before getting back into a significant exercise routine.  The reality is that it takes a few months for things to completely settle down and heal to the fullest extent.  Be careful with very excessive forceful exercises that involve your chest.  Always check with your surgeon first.  

Justin Yovino, MD, FACS

Pull ups after a BAM

HI scooter,  Every surgeon has their own post-operative recovery regimen, so you should really discuss this with your surgeon. For my own patients, I would not want them to do this until at least 6-7 weeks post surgery and then, I would tell them to be extremely careful with this type of exercise. It might be helpful as well to start slowly with some gentle weight first before proceeding to pull -ups.Best,   Dr. Christine Rodgers

Resumption of exercise after breast augmentation surgery?

For my patients who routinely receive partial subpectoral implants I allow increasingly forceful use of their upper extremities beginning at six weeks post op and extending to 8 weeks.  For unusual upper body exercise (ie golf, tennis and pullups/pushups) I recommend waiting for 8-12 weeks.  If your muscle tears during healing and has even minor bleeding the risk of capsular contracture increases dramatically so my recommendation is to be patient and allow adequate healing time.  Your doctor may feel differently so discuss it with him/her.  Regards and enjoy your results. Jon A Perlman MD FACS  Certified, American Board of Plastic Surgery  Extreme Makeover Surgeon ABC TV Best of Los Angeles Award 2015, 2016  Beverly Hills, Ca

Jon A. Perlman, MD

Exercises

Upper body exercises may be resumed gradually  6-8 week post breast augmentation. You will need to discuss your specific postoperative regimen with your surgeon. 

Breast Implants/Breast Augmentation/Anatomic Gummy Bear Implants/ Silicone Implants/Breast Implant Revision Surgery

Thank you for your question.I specialize in Breast Implants and restorative Breast Surgery procedures. I would recommend that you discuss this question with your surgeon as every surgeon has their own respective post op protocol for his/her patients.  Your surgeon is your best resource as he/she is most familiar with your medical history and how you are healing at this time. For my patients, I require no heavy lifting or strenuous activity for 6-8 weeks following surgery.The best way to assess and give true advice would be an in-person exam. Please see a board-certified plastic surgeon that specializes in aesthetic and restorative plastic surgery. Best of luck! Dr. Schwartz Board Certified Plastic Surgeon Director-Beverly Hills Breast and Body Institute #RealSelf100Surgeon