Best Positions For Sitting and Sleeping After Tummy Tuck Surgery? (photo)

what are the best way's to sit and watch TV and what about laying down to sleep . I have NEVER had any kind of surgery in my life and i really dont know what to do and i'm starting to freak out with only 14 days to my tummy tuck but i have lost 104 lbs and really need to fix all this

Best position after a tummy tuck

Buffyduck;

Thank you for your question and photo. First of all, congratulations on your tremendous weight loss! I'm sure that you already feel much better and have improved your self-image which should only get better after your surgery. The best position after a tummy tuck is a reclining chair position.  This allows you to be flexed at your waist and this type of chair will also help you get up by using you arms which can be very hard to do in a complete recumbent position. Remember that it is important to get up frequently to walk around after surgery and make sure that you move your feet and legs often while in the chair. Best of luck with your surgery.

Columbus Plastic Surgeon

Recovery after tummy tuck

Thank you for your question and congratulations on your weight loss.

One good position to sleep and sit after tummy tuck surgery is to recline in the "beach chair" posiiton with one or two pillows behind your head and one or two pillows behind your knees.

J. Jason Wendel, MD, FACS

Best position for sitting and sleeping after a tummy tuck

Since the skin will be pulled somewhat tightly, you should not lay flap or stand straight for the first 2 weeks.  When laying down pillows should be placed under your head and knees or lay in a fetal position on your side.   Best of luck, Dr. Michael Omidi

An in-person exam with a board-certified plastic surgeon is the best way to assess your needs and provide true medical advice.

Michael M. Omidi, MD, FACS

Tummy Tuck recovery

Following the tummy tuck procedure, you should be in a flexed position to minimize tension on the incision sites by to bending at the hips (waist) in order to reduce tension on the newly tightened skin. A recliner chair is perfect for this purpose but a pillow beneath your knees and several at the head of the bed will work well also.

#tummytuck
#tt
#tummytuckrecovery
#ttrecovery

Best way to sit after a tummy tuck

Hello!, very common question. Unfortunately it will be uncomfortable all around.  Lying on your stomach is out, of course!.  Lying on one side or another with knees bent is OK but will swell on theside that is touching the bed. Lying reclined in a bed or recliner is best!

Good Luck

Reclining after tummy tuck

Dear Buffyduck,

The best postition to sit and even sleep in after a tummy tuck is the reclined position.  It will minimize the tension on your scar while your newly stretched skin relaxes over the days following surgery.  Be sure to get up and walk several times a day and exercise your ankles and feet while reclining to prevent blood clots from developing in your legs.  Good luck!

Sleep position after tummy tuck

I generally recommend that patients sleep up on pillows for back support, lying on their backs and that, during the day, they rest in a recliner or elevated with a back rest on their beds.

Great weight loss

It is best to sleep with the back elevated about 60 degrees to take the pressure off of the incision.  A lounge chair is great.

Miguel Delgado, MD

Sitting and Sleeping after Tummy Tuck Surgery?

Many patients feel most comfortable sitting or sleeping on a recliner or bed  after tummy tuck surgery. The use of pillows beneath the knees and back will be helpful. You want to stay flexed/bent  at the waist to take attention off the lower abdominal wall incision line.

Getting Up During Recovery

While you are in the first couple of weeks of healing after a TT, it is best to roll on your side to get up from bed or off the couch, while sure that you are wearing any compression garment that is suggested by your PS. This is not a standard restriction or rule, and if you are having any specific problems go ahead and contact your surgeon to see what may be best for you.