Heading Back to Work After BBL, What Can I do to Prevent Damage While Sitting all Day at my Desk?

I got my bbl last we and its almost time for me to go back to work.problem is that I work in a office whcih is sitting down 8 hrs a mon to fri ..what can I do to prevent damage to my bbl?please help!!thank you in advance

What Can I Do to Sit at Work After my Brazilian Butt Lift?

The Brazilian Butt Lift utilizes your own natural fat for the augmentation. One of the keys of the fat transfer is that it is incorporated and becomes your fat just in a better place!

The key is how do we maximize the amount of fat that is going “take” or survive for the augmentation. One of the things that can help increase the amount of fat that stays after the transfer is preventing any trauma to the buttock area, that includes sitting. The pressure of sitting can be harmful to the fat for the first couple of weeks after the transfer.

I typically have patients avoid sitting for two weeks after the surgery. They can walk and sleep on their belly, just no sitting. After the first two weeks they can sit for an hour with a 10 minute break in between sitting sessions. After six weeks they can return to all of their normal routines.

There are special pillows that patients can purchase that avoids any pressure on the buttock in the post-operative period so that they can sit at work and still protect their fat transfer procedure. The key with these specialized pillows is that all of the weight is on the posterior thighs and not on the buttock. The buttock should be hanging off the end of the pillows.

I hope this helps, be sure to discuss this with your board certified plastic surgeon.

Better to not sit at all in first two weeks

The best person to ask about this is your surgeon, as every surgeon has their own advice. Generally, I recommend that patients don't sit at all for at least 2 weeks after surgery. Sitting for long periods of time during this stage of recovery will damage the fat that has been transferred to your buttocks, compromising results. If you have to sit, do so for very short period of times and alter your position so you don't put too much pressure in one area for too long.

Returning to work after a Brazilian butt lift

The Brazilian butt lift is beautiful and effective way to contour your torso, create a flat tummy, a small waist, sculpted back, full hips, and round new bottom. For our patients here Miami, we inform them that the recovery process is a crucial stage in attaining the results you are looking for. We recommend that they place no weight or pressure on to their butt for at least 3 to 4 weeks. When the patient returns work we recommend that the use a specialized cushion that will allow them to sit on their posterior thighs and not put pressure on to their bottom. In our practice, patients can also obtain a specialized chair that has a very thin seat that will allow them to sit on the back of their thighs and have their bottom hanging off with no pressure whatsoever. Many of our patients by multiple chairs so that they can use this at their desk at work or at home while eating or watching television. Your best bet is to be sure you are working with a plastic surgeon board-certified by the American board of plastic surgery who can closely monitor your results and adjust your postoperative regimen as your activity changes so that you can achieve the results you are looking for

How long should you not sit after Brazilian Butt Lift?

This is one of those questions that patients should always ask their surgeon PRIOR to surgery.  You need to know how long you need to take off work to obtain a good result and prevent loss of your fat cells.  If your surgeon is experienced with this procedure, they should discuss with your prior to surgery what you will need to do after surgery.  If you can not follow the recommendations that your surgeon gives you to get a good result, then you shouldn't have the surgery.  I would not recommend returning to work after one week.  But, if your surgeon gets beautiful results and all of his patients return to work at one week, then maybe it is ok.

Brazilan Butt Lift and Sitting

For transferred fat cells to survived the blood supply must be able to attach itself to these cells and feed them. Nothing interferes more with this processes of graft immobility than movement cursed by sitting related compression and decompression. It will interfere with vascularization of the graft. 

There is no substitute for rest and immobility. You may want to try doing your job standing or sitting on the back of your thighs without putting pressure on your buttocks. Discuss it with your surgeon. 

BBL Recovery

A Brazilian Butt Lift consists of harvesting fat from one area of the body, processing and purifying it, and then injecting it back into the buttocks area to increase volume and enhance shape. When the fat is first injected it has been pulled out of its usual ‘home’ environment, stripped of its blood supply and placed into a new region where it has to re-establish a blood supply from the surrounding tissue. A that time it is very delicate and needs to be treated gently. During the first 10-14 days it begins to ‘grow into’ the new environment. Blood vessels hook up to bring it nutrition and get rid of waste (just like plumbing in your house). Once the new ‘supply lines’ have been established, the fat cells become more durable and tolerant, and eventually become ‘one’ with surrounding tissue. At that point they are no longer vulnerable and can handle normal wear and tear! If those fat cells encounter adverse conditions during the early healing period, they may never develop attachments to their new home, and proceed to die. One of the worst conditions for these transplanted cells is pressure. It can squish them enough to burst, push them into places we don’t want them, and result in poor shape and unsatisfactory results. I would recommend in your situation to plan to take at least 7-10 days off of work completely, and then plan to get up frequently and shift your weight often (every 10-15 minutes or so). Also consider bringing a cushion to sit on for the first week back. Take the precautions necessary to get the best result you can from your surgery. If you follow the rules early, you get a result you can enjoy forever!

Sitting Post BBL?

Thank you for your question! It is very important that you follow all of your post of instructions given by your doctor.  I usually advise patients to not sit for 2-3 weeks after surgery.  Best of luck!

Dr Dhaval Patel
Double Board Certified
Plastic Surgeon
Chicago
Hoffman Estates
Oak Brook

Dhaval M. Patel, MD
Hoffman Estates Plastic Surgeon

Don't sit all day, walk a lot. Please follow up with your doctor as these issues require the attention of a plastic surgeon.

Ron Hazani, MD, FACS
Beverly Hills General Surgeon