One Side of Lip Larger Than the Other After Juvederm. Is This Normal?

I recently had Juvederm injected into both my bottom and top lip.It left me with a terrible bruise and one side is larger than the other with a bulge above my lip. It has been 4 days and thought it was maybe just more swollen on one side... But it has not gone away. How long should I wait till it can be corrected? I would not want to re-inject more juvederm as I think they are large enough, is it possible to use Hyaluronidase injections to even out the other side without having to dissolve everything?

Post Juvederm Swelling

Thank you for your question. I would wait about 2 weeks and get re evaluated by your injector. The swelling and bruising can last up to 2 weeks so its best to wait for everything to settle first.  Be certain to be under the supervision of a board certified dermatologist or plastic surgeon with expertise in injectables for an evaluation and  for the safest and most effective treatments.   I hope this helps.

Swelling after Juvederm in the lips

Thank you for your question. It is very common for the lips to look over corrected or fake the next day. I often tell my patients that this is the "oh my gosh" day. This is due to all the swelling that ensues. It may last a few days with every day showing a decrease in swelling. The more you ice the first day or two, the less swelling you will have. I would wait a few days to a week and then return to your injector if you still have concerns after that. If you like the look of the lips at some point during the swelling reduction, then take a picture. This way you know what volume you like in the lips for the future.

If your results remain asymmetric after a couple weeks, then you can consider hyaluronidase to dissolve some of the Juvederm.

Unfortunatley your problem isn't rare...but it is correctable

either by time or by some mild doctor assistance...while it's generally a good idea to wait for minor corrections for at least two weeks till the swelling resolves and the tissue often gets more even but if there's a significant issue, like a lump, it's never too soon to see your doctor...if there's a bulge, it's possible to massage the area and help it resolve more quickly...hyaluronidase is an option but at just 4 days it's a bit early unless there's a major problem...make sure you see a reputable doctor with lots or experience with the lips...and one who uses legitimate products...

Ken Landow, MD

Lip filler uneven

It is best to wait 2 weeks if things appear uneven. Very commonly, it is as simple as one side having more or deeper of a bruise, or binding more water than the other side, it usually settles down quite nicely. That said, if still uneven, hyaluronidase by an expert injector such as a dermatologist can dissolve any excess hyaluronic acid filler.

Benjamin Barankin, MD
Toronto Dermatologic Surgeon

Lump post lip inject

You are only 4 days so I would be patient.What you see and feel may be a little bleeding that occurred so massage and patience.

Robert Brueck, MD
Fort Myers Plastic Surgeon

Juvederm and uneven lips

It can take about 2 weeks for the puffiness to resolve after Juvederm injections into the lips, especially if you developed a bruise.  Wait the 2 weeks and if your lips are still uneven, return to your physician for an adjustment.

Martie Gidon, MD, FRCPC
Toronto Dermatologist

Uneven lips after Juvederm

A small hematoma on the bruised side may be the cause for uneven lips.  Eat fresh pineapple and wait a week or two if possible.  Hyaluronidase will dissolve all the Juvederm quickly.  

In the future, bruising can be minimized with stopping aspirin and ibuprofen at least 10 days prior, eating fresh pineapple, applying ice, and using blunt cannulas.  Fish oils and some herbal remedies increase bruising too.

When you are being injected, ask for a mirror and check your appearance before the syringe is empty.  Asymmetries of the teeth can make the lip appear asymmetric.  

Sarah A. Mess, MD
Columbia Plastic Surgeon

Uneven lips 4 days after filler injections

It is always advisable to wait at least one and preferably two weeks for all of the swelling to resolve before assessing the results of filler injections, especially a hyaluronic acid filler like Juvederm. I always recommend waiting several weeks for the swelling to go down after the treatment before worrying about any long-term adverse effects or considering any "touch-up" treatments such as additional filler injections or reversing the treatment using hyaluronidase.

Mitchell Schwartz, MD
South Burlington Dermatologic Surgeon

Uneven lips after filler

Wait at least two weeks and then follow up with your physician. A vast majority of problems will be gone by the two week mark.  If not it is very likely a simple fix to either add more to one side, massage the fuller side or rarely use hyaluronidase to dissolve some of the product on the fuller side.  

Jacqueline Calkin, MD
Sacramento Dermatologic Surgeon

What to do for uneven lips after Juvederm UPXC?

Injecting Dermal fillers is a skill and an Art.  It is possible that it was injected unevenly. So if there is more on one side than the other, this can be corrected. But you want to be sure the bruise and all the swelling is resolved before attempting further correction. Sometimes massage alone will correct it. Other times, it's adding a bit more to one area. As a last resort we can dissolve a lump of product or an "over" correction with Vitrase.  Again, it takes skill and a good eye to make sure you look even and natural; But a good injector should be able to accomplish this for you.   

Sam Naficy, MD, FACS