Will 385cc be enough for the size I am wanting?

I am 30 years old and wear a 32A bra. I would like to be a FULL C/D after my surgery. I am getting 385cc silicone gel implants under the muscle. I am 5'3" 125 lbs. I am afraid 385cc will not be enough to achieve the size I want but my surgeon tells me to "trust him" so that is what I am trying to do but I kee going back and forth with maybe going to see him one more time before my surgery to ask if I should get more CC. I don't want them too big but I don't want to wish I would have gone bigger.

See him again

You should see your surgeon one more time and discuss the size issue with him/her.  Have them show you photos of patients who are similar to you and see what size implants were used on them.  

Implant Sizes

If the 385 implants are the maximum width for your breast measurements then you are likely going to achieve the fullest look that you can while remaining proportionate. My patients find it helpful to try on the implant sizers with a  form-fitting T-Shirt in the office in order to get an idea of how they will look.
All the best

Breast Augmentation - Size Selection

Thank you for your question. "Tissue based planning" relies on your chest and breast measurements and is the safest way to ensure good long term results. Your surgeon should determine what size and projection are necessary to give you your desired result based on your body's measurements. The best way to assess and give true advice would be an in-person exam. Please see a board-certified plastic surgeon that specializes in aesthetic breast surgery. Hope this helps and good luck with your surgery.

Will 385cc breast implants be enough for the size I am wanting?

Estimate 150-200cc of implant to increase by one cup size in the bra you currently wear. The 385cc should increase you by 2 cup sizes. For more on sizing please read below:

Try them on

The easiest way to get an idea of how the implants will fill out a bra is to try them on before surgery. Use a D cup bra and place the implants over your breasts, then put on a t shirt. It is not an exact science, but will give you an idea of the size. You should also know that not all bras are created equally, and a D cup in one brand may not be the same as a D cup in another brand. Instead of focusing on the letter of the cup size, try them on and if you like it, go with it. Your surgeon will take many factors into consideration when choosing an implant size and I encourage you to discuss any concerns you have with him before surgery.

Elizabeth A. Kinsley, MD
Covington Plastic Surgeon

Breast augmentation - choosing the right implant.

Thank you for asking about your breast augmentation.
  • When in doubt, always return to your surgeon to be sure the implant choice is right for you.
  • This is THE most important decision in your surgery.
  • At your height and weight, a 385 cc implant should give you the look you want -
  • But many women want to go bigger than they expected.
  • Part of your surgeon's recommendation will be based on your skin and chest measurements -
  • So be sure to discuss it with him.
  • Bringing a bra you want to fill out can be helpful - since cup sizes are not scientific.
  • The attached video may give you some more ideas as well
Always see a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon. Best wishes  - Elizabeth Morgan MD PHD FAC

Breast Augmentation/Breast Implants/Anatomic Gummy Bear Implants/ Silicone Implants/Breast Implant Revision

I appreciate your question. The size of implant best for you is dictated by your chest wall measurements.  Once we determine that we can choose the profile based on what you want or need to achieve.  If you are seeking a natural look, then the diameter of the implant should be equal to or, more ideally, smaller than the width of your breast. The breast width is a measurement of how wide your breast is at the base, which should be measured at the level of the nipple. Choosing an implant that is smaller in diameter than your breast width will avoid the "side breast" fullness that is often associated with a more artificial appearance.  Other than that, you should choose the implant based on volume, not on the dimensions of the implant. You should choose a board certified plastic surgeon that you trust to help guide you in this decision.   Silicone will give you a fullness at the top (upper pole fullness). Silicone implants come pre-filled with a silicone gel and are the softest implant available. They feel more natural, which makes them a good option for women with less natural breast tissue; but they require a larger incision. It may be more difficult to realize if this type of implant has ruptured, so it is important to monitor them with annual follow-up visits. Additionally, because this implant contains a more liquid silicone (less cross-linked), if this implant should rupture, it will leak only into the scar capsule formed around the implant but may cause some discomfort or implant distortion. Anatomic gummy bear implants might be a good choice to give you volume. These highly-sought-after, anatomic implants offer a look that more closely resembles the natural silhouette of a breast, and, therefore, are a very attractive option for individuals seeking a natural-looking, aesthetic primary breast augmentation. Additionally, these implants are an especially excellent option for patients undergoing restorative or corrective breast surgery because they provide more stability, shape, and reduced incidence of capsular contracture. Compared to other types of silicone gel implants, the silicone in the cohesive gel implant is more cross-linked; therefore, should the implant shell “rupture,” it maintains its shape and silicone does not leak. During your breast augmentation consultation, you should feel the different types of implants available, and try on various implant sizers in front of a mirror to help you to get an idea of how you will look following the surgery. You should also bring pictures of the look you would like to achieve, as well as a favorite top to wear when trying on implant sizers. The best way to assess and give true advice would be an in-person exam. Please see a board-certified plastic surgeon that specializes in aesthetic and restorative breast surgery. Best of luck! Dr. Schwartz Board Certified Plastic Surgeon Director-Beverly Hills Breast and Body Institute #RealSelf100Surgeon #RealSelfCORESurgeon

Thank you for the question. Ultimately, careful communication of your goals (in my practice I prefer the use of goal pictures, direct examination/communication in front of a full-length mirror, in bra sizers, and computer imaging) as well as careful measurements (dimensional planning) will be critical.

***Given that your surgery is coming up soon, I would suggest that you spend additional time communicating your goals/concerns directly with your plastic surgeon, preferably prior to the date of surgery.

Generally speaking, the best online advice I can give to ladies who are considering breast augmentation surgery ( regarding breast implant size/profile selection) is:

1. Concentrate on choosing your plastic surgeon carefully. Concentrate on appropriate training, certification, and the ability of the plastic surgeon to achieve the results you are looking for. Ask to see lots of examples of his/her work.

2. Have a full discussion and communication regarding your desired goals with your plastic surgeon. This communication will be critical in determining breast implant size/type/profile will most likely help achieve your goals.  In my practice, the use of photographs of “goal” pictures (and breasts that are too big or too small) is very helpful. For example, I have found that the use of words such as “natural” or "full C/D cup" or "too big" etc means different things to different people and therefore prove unhelpful. Also, as you know, cup size varies depending on him who makes the bra; therefore, discussing desired cup size may also be inaccurate. Again, the use of computer imaging has been very helpful during the communication process, in our practice.

3. Once you feel you have communicated your goals clearly, allow your plastic surgeon to use his/her years of experience/judgment to choose the breast implant size/profile that will best meet your goals. Again, in my practice, this decision is usually made during surgery, after the use of temporary intraoperative sizers.
I hope this (and the attached link, dedicated to breast augmentation surgery concerns) helps. Best wishes for an outcome that you will be very pleased with. 

No one over the Internet can tell you what size you will be with 385cc's. Bra's are not made to a specific standardized size, and the final size depends upon how much breast tissue you have, plus your width and height. I would suggest asking you docotr to try on that size and see how you like it. You might even bring in a bra you would like to wear. Your doctor can best guide you to the size you think you want.

Connie Hiers, MD
San Antonio Plastic Surgeon