Is it possible to feel a lump where a saline implant has ruptured but not yet removed?

I've had my saline implants for 12 years now. About 2 weeks ago, I noticed my right side deflating. This has been confirmed by a board certified physician.. However, now that the deflation looks complete, I have found a lump that I could not feel 2 weeks ago... Could this possibly be the deflated implant I'm feeling??

Lump

When they deflate they can fold over on themselves and the edge of the implant is easily felt. Feeling the implant shell is very common with a deflation and is not a reason to worry.

Lumps after deflation

It is likely that you are feeling part of the implant that is deflated.  However it is best to have an examination done by your surgeon to rule out other possibilities.  Your surgeon may suggest having an ultrasound or mammogram to confirm the findings.

Camille Cash, MD

Lump after deflation

It is possible the lump you feel may be the implant, but an exam would be necessary. Best of luck....

Is it possible to feel a lump where a saline implant has ruptured?

It is often possible for saline implants to be more palpable after deflation, however I would scheduled an appointment with your surgeon for further evaluation.  Additional imaging with mammography or ultrasound may be needed.  

Most likely you are feeling the deflated implant.  Contact a board certified plastic surgeon for explant.

Robert E. Zaworski, MD