Botox for rosacea?

I found some evidence that botox does wonders for Rosacea for some people. As someone who tried IPL, VBeam, Clonidine, Antibiotics, Metrogel, Azelaic acid, Tea tree oil and so on, with little success I am willing to try Botox. I only have persistant redness and some flushing, no pimples and pustules. I have difficulty finding a doctor that does this procedure for rosacea in Europe. Can you recommend me someone?
Click here to search for board certified surgeons in your area.

Best Treatments for Rosacea

There recently have been some trials with Botox as a treatment for Rosacea.  However, there are many more effective and easier treatments including newer topical medicines such as Mirvaso and Soolantra.  These medications combined with the V-Beam (which is the gold standard for Rosacea) is really all that you need.  In severe cases, oral antibiotics may be necessary.  Please consult a board certified dermatologist with expertise with lasers and rosacea.

Botox for rosacea

Botox has been shown to be effective when injected superficially in very dilute concentration to reduce the redness and flushing of rosacea for 3-6 months. It is not a permanent fix and dies need to be repeated. It does not improve the inflammatory pimple part of rosacea. Below is a reference from a peer-reviewed journal: 

Another option you don't mention having tried is the prescription vasoconstrictor Mirvaso (made by Galderma). Used daily, it can reduce baseline redness in many patients. 
I hope this answer had been helpful.
Best wishes

Heidi A. Waldorf, MD

Rosacea treatment

Botox would not be considered a first line treatment for erythemato-telangiectatic rosacea that typically presents with redness and flushing. You mentioned several devices including IPL and Vbeam. One of the newest lasers for the treatment of rosacea is KTP 532 nm laser (Cutera Excel V) and you should try to find out of there is a physician in your area who utilizes such a device. Usually significant results can be accomplished with 3-4 treatment sessions. 
There are also several newer topical agents, including topical brimonidine (Mirvaso) that can effectively address erythema of rosacea if used on a daily basis.

Andrei Metelitsa, MD, FRCPC
Calgary Dermatologic Surgeon

Botox does not treat rosacea

As far as I know, there are no published studies to demonstrate a relationship between Botox and improvement of rosacea.  The mechanism of action of Botox would have absolutely no effect on the known etiologies of rosacea.  If you have any other questions about possible treatments for rosacea, I would schedule an appointment with a local dermatologist to discuss your options.

Corey L. Hartman, MD, FAAD
Birmingham Dermatologic Surgeon