Can a bruise leave permanent discoloration? (photo)
Doctor Answers 2
Bruising after liposuction
- First, take no anti-inflammatories such as aspirin or ibuprofen.
- Bruising can cause permanent discoloration for two reasons -
- Either the iron in the blood stains the tissues
- Or the irritation from blood causes skin darkening (called post-inflammatory hyperpigmentation.)
- For now, leg elevation, gentle massage and warm soaks - if your surgeon approves - is all one can do.
- Arnica topically and by mouth is unlikely to help but probably harmless.
- Before having more surgery, a hematologist should evaluate you to be sure there is not a mild underlying bloot clotting disorder that needs treatment before future surgery.
Can a bruise leave permanent discoloration?
These answers are for educational purposes and should not be relied upon as a substitute for medical advice you may receive from your physician. If you have a medical emergency, please call 911. These answers do not constitute or initiate a patient/doctor relationship.