O-Shot: Are there any side effects?

Are there any side effects to be aware of before getting the O-Shot?

O-Shot side effects

Thank you for your question.  The O-shot is a very safe procedure as you are injecting your own plasma into the vaginal area.  There are complications associated with any procedure involving a needle (bruising, swelling, possible hematoma) and associated with a lack of understanding of the underlying anatomy.  I would recommend that you visit with a surgeon who is experience with this procedure and who understands the anatomy to minimize the risk of any adverse effects.

Minimal

Since it is your own plasma, minimal to no side effects.  Complications as with any procedure include injection site irritation, infection, damage to neighboring structures, swelling, damage to urethra, etc.  Make sure you go to a certified O-shot provider!

Samer Muala, MD
Phoenix Family Physician

Side effects of O shot

Yes- theoretically one could get an infection after insertion of a foreign body (needle).  I believe this risk is extremely low.  There has been one published study on the side effects of the O shot- one woman actually reported hyperlibido that interfered with her life.  She was young and it resolved.  One of the great aspects about the  O shot is that there is not any down time and I believe the risks are either nonexistent or rare.  I believe it is important to seek treatment from a licensed provider who has been trained to do this procedure correctly.  When done incorrectly- it could lead to urinary retention or other problems. 

Amy Brenner, MD
Cincinnati OB/GYN

O-shot

The O Shot is an injection of your own blood product directly into the clitoris and anterior vaginal wall or G spot. It is very important that  you do not have an general infection and the the vagina is free of infection. It is crucial that your blood is processed in a sterile manner  by a well-trained staff. The physician injecting your PRP should know exactly where to inject without causing significant bleeding or pain.

Extremely rare side effects to consider are transient worsening of your urinary symptoms, bleeding and possible infections.

John Hettiarachchi, DO, FACS, FPMRS
Charlotte Urologist