Do Gummy Bear implants feel less natural than regular silicone breast implants?

When placed under the muscle, exactly how natural appearing and natural feeling are the anatomical gummy bear implants?

Do Gummy Bear Breast Implants Feel More or Less Natural than Silicone Gel Breast Implants

This is a good question and one that that gets asked fairly regularly or at least one that is in the back of many women’s minds after they have felt both when they come in to the office for a consultation. Most, if not all, of the gummy bear breast implants or highly cohesive silicone gel implants are textured so that your tissue will grow into the texture to reduce scarring or capsule contracture. This has the advantage that the implant becomes “part of you” rather than just sitting in a pocket like the smooth one breast implants do. With the smooth implants, we put them in pockets that are bigger than the implant and we hope that the pocket does not shrink and result in a tight pocket or capsule contracture.

What we are finding is that the gummy bear implants, while they feel a little more firm we handle them in the office, they feel more natural when they are inside you because they are sort of “velcroed” to you.

I have added a video that also answers this question for you.  I have also added a link for you concerning rapid breast augmentation recovery.  Above or below the muscle, this technique with the gummy bear breast implants you are researching yields great results.

I hope the helps.

Best regards.

Kirkland Plastic Surgeon

Gummy bear breast Implants and a natural feel

In general, the cohesive gel or gummy bear breast implants feel a little firmer, as a 5th generation silicone implant, compared to the "regular" or 4th generation silicone implants. There are three companies with these cohesive gel implants and I think Sientra has the softest gel with Allergan having the firmest implants. Mentor is probably somewhere in the middle. So it really depends on which company you chose for the final feeling of the implant under the muscle. I think the Sientra and Mentor cohesive, anatomic, gummy bear implants look the most natural and probably feel the most natural.

Best wishes to you.

Yes, the gummy bear implants( 5th generation) in my experience are firmer than the cohesive gel implants(4th generation).  Both have advantages and disadvantages and your plastic surgeon should discuss them with you during your consultation.

Craig Harrison, MD, PA
Tyler Plastic Surgeon

Shaped 'gummy bear' implants

are designed not to move after your body heals around it 'like a glove'.  It doesn't fall to the side when laying on your back and you won't get the cleavage when using a push up bra that you would with a smooth round implant.  As for feel, the only way to really get an objective opinion is to have one implant on one side and the other on the other side in the same patient and I do not know of any studies done like that.  So pick one according to what characteristics fit your lifestyle best rather than the 'feel' which is very subjective.

Curtis Wong, MD

Form stable implants do feel more breast-like than smooth round silicone implants

My patients that have received a form-stable 'gummy bear' Sientra implant in the submuscular position report a more 'unified' breast feel that they report as more 'real' - when compared to other patients that have received smooth round silicone implants.

"Gummy Bear" was a term initially used in relation to Sientra round textured implants in that the silicone gel is somewhat more cohesive than that used in round smooth silicone gel implants. Then people started referring to the more cohesive "anatomic" shaped implants as Gummy Bear implants, so the term can be a little confusing. Anatomic shaped implants are even more cohesive (so that they can retain their shape), and thus are somewhat more firm than other implants. There may be slight differences in firmness between the anatomic shaped cohesive gel implants made by Sientra, Allergan, and Mentor. The main purpose of an anatomic shaped implant in cosmetic breast augmentation is when patients with very little breast tissue want augmentation with a very natural slope and little to no upper pole roundness or fullness.

Breast Implants for a Natural Feel

I use both types of implants in my practice.  Both have a very natural feel, and the patients are very pleased with either.

Robert E. Zaworski, MD