Can a Mole Excision be Performed by Dermatological Nurse Pracitioner. (photo)

Seeing a nurse practitioner at a nearby Dermatology office about a raised mole on my cheek near my nose. I've had it for as long as I can remember. Recently it seemed a bit more swollen or puffy, not necessarily larger in diameter. I've read that it's not uncommon to have an excision performed during the first office visit. I am wondering if it is common for nurse practitioners to perform excisions? Should I opt to see an MD instead?

Doctor Answers 3

Cosmetic Mole Removal -- Lasers, Radiowave, Shave -- See an Expert

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}
There are many options for treatment including shave removal with laser or dessication will give improvement. Scarring will be minimal and can be treated with lasers and microneedling. APN's can perform excisions, but I suggest consulting with a board certified dermatologist for treatment. Best, Dr. Emer

Los Angeles Dermatologic Surgeon
4.8 out of 5 stars 207 reviews

Mole excision- ideal cosmetic results

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}
Removing moles is a lowly endeavor, right?
Not so fast.  Removal of a mole can be done with an 'ice cream scoop' approach, or it can be done with the scar cleverly hidden.
Most patients, by the time they are in the 60's, have had several moles removed.  If each removal leaves an unsightly scar, you can do the math on how the face or other anatomic region looks.
That's why (in addition to the many skin cancer removal rules) that mole removal is actually quite artistic.
For many patients, it is worth seeking a talented plastic surgeon to have moles removed.

Brent Moelleken, MD
Beverly Hills Plastic Surgeon
4.9 out of 5 stars 195 reviews

Dermatology nurse practitioners

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}
Thank you for your question. A nurse practitioner or physician assistant can perform an excision, but it depends on their training and experience. With that being said, having lesions removed from the face may leave an unsightly scar, therefore, a plastic surgeon or Mohs surgeon may be a better option to obtain an aesthetically pleasing scar. Take care and good luck.

Reuel Aspacio, MD, FAAD
Las Vegas Dermatologist
5.0 out of 5 stars 7 reviews

You might also like...

These answers are for educational purposes and should not be relied upon as a substitute for medical advice you may receive from your physician. If you have a medical emergency, please call 911. These answers do not constitute or initiate a patient/doctor relationship.