Is there such thing as 'too much' compression after Smart Lipo?

I am on my first full day post op and compression garment just isn't quite as tight as I would like. I don't know how to explain why other than it is a comforting feeling (like the compression is helping my new body stay in place). I have a Waist Nipper from Maidenform that I got at Macy's before my surgery. Is there any reason why I should not wear it over my compression garment for a few hours while I heal and tighten up?

Compression Garment Use

More compression does not always equal more benefits. You should follow your surgeon’s instructions post-op, and make sure to consult him or her before changing your routine.

Fenton Dermatologist

Compression after Liposuction

I am a stickler for adequate compression after Liposuction, at least a few months!  I feel compression that feels like a "snug hug" is appropriate, not too loose and not too tight.  If the compression garment given to you by your surgeon is questionable, I would contact his/her office for further construction.  

Good luck!

Windell Davis Boutte, MD

Windell C. Davis-Boutte, MD
Atlanta Dermatologic Surgeon

There is no value in extra tight

your compression garment should be comfortably snug but not tight. it should cover the area treated evenly and fully. You will not get a better result by torturing yourself with a super tight garment.

good luck and remember it takes a full 6 months to get your maximum improvement.

david berman md

David E. Berman, MD
Sterling Plastic Surgeon

Liposuction and Compression

Compression, massage, and hyperbaric oxygen are very important after liposuction and customized garments and foam padding should be provided by your physician.  Best, Dr. Emer.

A liposuction compression garment should fit properly

A proper fitting compression garment should apply compression evenly over the entire area that was treated and it should not end in the middle of a treated area. Your Waist Nipper might not cover the entire area. The edge of that garment might produce a groove in the treated area. See your surgeon if you're uncertain.