Can I drive the day after Smart Lipo?

I am having Smart Lipo done on Thursday afternoon and my family requested I pick them up at the airport Friday morning. I do not plan on taking the prescription pain killers after the initially surgery. Would it be uncomfortable for me to drive Friday?

Yes, Depending on Your Treatment Area

The day after Smartlipo, it really depends on what area you'll be focusing on. If it's just a small area, such as your neck, recovery is typically quite brief, and you may well be able to drive the next day. Driving doesn't require any strenuous physical maneuvers. However, I will also say that a backup plan is wise. It's very important not to get behind the wheel if you're not up for it after all. And of course, if you do decide you need to take prescription medicine, driving is out of the question. Good luck to you.

Spokane General Surgeon

Activity after SmartLipo

Thank you for your question. I typically tell my patients that it is best to take the next day off. The downtime for SmartLipo is usually only one day and it depends and what area you are getting done. If it’s a small area, your drive will be fine, but if the doctor is doing a lot of areas, it may be very uncomfortable. Please speak to your doctor about this. 

Bruce E. Katz, MD

Driving the next day after Smart Lipo

Every surgeon's protocol is a little different, but with the amount of anesthetic use, there is no reason that you can't drive the next day as long as you aren't taking any medications that would affect your reaction time (as you mentioned).  

Lawrence Osman, MD

Smart Lipo - Post Op Protocol

I suggest consulting with your physician regarding his or her postoperative protocol, as it may vary from my own. Best, Dr. Emer

I let all of my patients drive the next day and return to work

i do all of my Smartlipo cases (almost 600 to date) in the office with local anesthetic and either oral sedation or no sedation. There are no IV's placed. I let all of my patients return to work the very next day, provided they are not taking narcotics and about 98% of them return to work the next day (some schedule on a friday so that they do not have to return to work until Monday). 

However, each surgeon has their own philosophy so it makes sense to talk with them. However, it is reasonable to ask them why if they suggest that you do not drive the next day.

david berman md

David E. Berman, MD
Sterling Plastic Surgeon

Talk to your doctor

This may be possible but talk to your doctor.
You can't drive on pain meds.
It also depends on the amount of areas to be treated.