How many inches will my breasts shrink after swelling goes away after a reduction?

I am 4 weeks post op and feel too big still. My original size was 36H, (8" bigger). My breasts are now measuring 5 - 6" bigger than my ribcage, which would put me at a 36DDD. I was hoping for a D, which is about 4" bigger than ribcage. My breasts have healed well and already feel soft and jiggly. Will they shrink more? I've been an emotional mess and sobbing for days because they feel too big. I know it can take a few months to settle into their size, but will they reduce that much?

Breast Reduction

The final appearance, shape, and movement are not exactly the same as normal breasts. The surgically enlarged breasts do not move in the same way as normal breasts. They tend to be firmer. The contours are usually somewhat different than normal breasts. In some patients these discrepancies may be rather noticeable. Although every effort is made to place the implants symmetrically, complete symmetry is rarely achieved. Immediately after surgery, the breasts are swollen and firmer. The final shape and size is approximated after 2 to 3 months, but up to one year may be required for the end result.

Thank you for your question.  Sorry to hear about your concerns.  However, it's still too early to make a final judgment on your appearance.  If you're not happy with your appearance after 3-6 months, discuss your concerns with your surgeon as there are always corrective options.  Good luck.

Zachary Farris, MD, FACS

Concerned after breast reduction surgery…

I'm sorry to hear about your concerns after breast reduction surgery.   Sorry, but there is no way to quantify how many "inches" of change you will notice as time goes on. As you mentioned, the breasts will change significantly over the course of the next several months; don't be surprised at that point if you are very pleased with the outcome of the surgery performed.  Try to stay emotionally even keeled during the process. In the meantime, only your plastic surgeon will be able to provide you with meaningful reassurance. Best wishes for an outcome that you will be pleased with longer-term.