I had a major Breast reduction but now sagging. Any suggestions? (photos)

I have read about breast mesh bras that can be inserted. Can these be done without getting a breast augmentation? I went from a 38DD to a 36 B size in order for insurance to pay for it. I like the small size but what is the best why to lift them up? My breasts started to sag right after that surgery. What will it take for me to have stand up breasts? Will a mesh do the trick?

Sagging Post Breast Reduction

Gravity continues to have its effect, and there is a tendency for the skin of the breasts to stretch over a long period of time. This can be slowed by regular bra use when upright although 24 hour support is suggested. Although, women vary a great deal in this respect, in general, the smaller the #breasts the less the tendency for #sagging to recur.

In some cases, those who think they could benefit from a #BreastReduction, can in fact, benefit from a #BreastLift. A #mastopexy or breast lift operation is designed to improve the shape and position of the breasts without reducing their size. It is the most suitable for #breasts which sag or droop (ptosis) as a result of development, aging, pregnancy, breast-feeding and weight loss . Some patients will experience better results to restore superior fullness if an #implant is used at the time of mastopexy; better known as #Augmentation/Mastopexy.
This can also be combined with a minor breast reduction to reduce the breast width if desired. Altogether, the surgery will create an elevated, more youthful breast contour. Also, the nipple and areolae of the desired size and correct heightmay also be addressed. #FatGrafting is another option to using #breastimplants and requires a small amount of liposuction to obtain the fat which is the prepared and transferred to the breast.

Breast lift

You might need a breast lift to adjust the sagging. 

A mastopexy or breast-lift operation is designed to improve the shape and position of the breasts without reducing their size. It is used for breasts that sag but are not overly large. Sagging of the breasts may occur with normal development for some women, or as a part of aging. Pregnancy, breastfeeding, and weight loss are other conditions which increase breast ptosis (sagging). Some patients will achieve a better breast shape if an implant is used at the time of mastopexy.
An elevated, more youthful breast contour.
Nipple-areolar complexes of the desired size and at the correct height and similar location.

I had a major Breast reduction but now sagging.

Thank you for your question.  The best way to address sagging, droopy breasts is with a breast lift (mastopexy).  With this procedure, the surgeon can lift and tighten the breasts as well as improve the shape and symmetry.  Mesh is not required here.  Be sure to consult with an experienced board certified plastic surgeon.  Good luck!

Zachary Farris, MD, FACS

Sagging after breast reduction

No one likes breasts that hurt because they are too big. No one likes breasts that are deflated looking, which is a real risk when trying to maximize reduction outcomes. It is probably a difficult adjustment to jump from one set of problems to another, and reliably perfect outcomes from surgery are not as realistic as any of us would like. Breast implants are incredibly popular as they serve as an inner bra to provide fullness and roundness to an otherwise slightly small or saggy breast. If the breast is too big or if there is too much loose skin, an implant alone cannot do the trick. Sometimes I see unhappy patients getting talked into implants which are too large (and sometimes over time sag) to address the skin issue. I can't tell from your picture, but a very thin implant can help round out your look (upper pole fullness), shouldn't give you a lot of bulk or spine-jarring movement, and may look nicely natural. This is a more straight forward solution to your concern than mesh option you mentioned. Depending on your body fat situation, a fat graft to the upper pole area of your breast, might be able to offer you the breast contour you like if the result you are looking for is subtle. Best wishes! I hope this helps!!

Angela Keen, MD
Salt Lake City Plastic Surgeon

Yes its an option

Dear jasatt

It is not uncommon to have deflation of the breasts after reduction. When more breast tissue and fat is taken out than skin, for example, a reduction can have a deflating effect over time. There are several ways to address this. The first thing that comes to mind is mastopexy, which is a fancy way of saying breast lift. With this procedure, the skin is better tailored to the fill to create perkiness. In some cases, an internal bra made from a mesh might help, but this is not always necessary.

Very good question, and I wish you the best,

Jonathan Zelken, MD
Newport Beach Physician