Can Doxycycline cause or trigger hair loss?

I have recently been prescribed Doxycycline antibiotic for my acne. I am currently still suffering from 12 months of telogen effluvium. I am a little scared to start any type of oral treatments now. Is there any chance That Doxycycline cause any more shedding? Thank you.

Doxycycline and likelihood of hair shedding

Stacy02,
Thanks for your question. The likelihood that doxycycline will cause or increase shedding is very low. Doxycycline is a first line treatment for a  hair loss condition known as lichen planopilaris. I would consult with the physician in charge of treating you.
Sincerely,

Bernardino A. Arocha, MD

Houston Hair Restoration Surgeon

Doxycycline

Doxycycline should not cause hair loss.I did look it up on the internet and although there are a few reports by people who set up this connection but there is no proof of such a connection

William Rassman, MD
Los Angeles Hair Restoration Surgeon

Doxycyline and telogen effluvium

Any drug has the potential to trigger shedding. Drugs are categorized according to having either a high likelihood, moderate likelihood or low likelihood of causing shedding.
Doxycycline has a low likelihood. It is not a common cause of shedding.