My surgeon wants to put stitches on the all the incisions when I have my phlebectomy. Is this usual? He says it scars less.

I have done ablation in both legs already, no stiches.

Sutures for microphlebectomies.

I do many ablation procedures and microphlebectomies. The majority of time no sutures are necessary for the microphlebectomies but occasionally I do use sutures selectively on areas that I suspect may bleed or in an area where there were big veins or in someone on blood thinners.  Sutures should not change the tiny scar in any way.

Naples General Surgeon

Phlebectomy - fantastic cosmetic results

Occasionally sutures are used after phlebectomy if large veins are removed. This is mainly to prevent bleeding after the patient goes home. For the most part we use steri-strips to close the incisions. Either way, the patients get a very nice cosmetic result.

Lisa Perez, MD
Atlanta Physician

Sutures or no sutures following microphlebectomy

One way or the other, microphebectomy incisions heal nicely.

I place sutures on my microphlebectomy incisions because my patients come from all over and often live more than 2 hours away from my practice.

My partner does not use sutures.

They all heal the same.

Dr karamanoukian

Stitches or not after phlebectomy

Often there are no stitches--just glue. Sometimes, stitches are used. Both methods heal very well with minimal scar. 

Robert S. Bader, MD
Boca Raton Dermatologic Surgeon

Stitches to phlebectomies incisions

I always approximate the skin edges with steristrips which is a skin tape with a special adhesive. It is removed after 7 days by soaking the leg in water.  They don't leave any marks and the incision sites heal with minimal scarring that disappears after a few weeks. 

Putting Stitches into Phlebectomy Incisions. Why Suture Small Incisions

This is something I do for all small incisions. This means that patients having liposuction, or Cellulaze or lipoma removal will all have their small incisions closed with sutures.
I have heard that some doctors leave the incisions open, perhaps because they believe in some situations that it is better to allow drainage, for example in liposuction or Cellulaze.
My opinion is that all small incisions heal with a much less visible scar when the skin edges are aligned neatly.  It is important that the sutures be removed before 7-10 days to avoid stitch marks.  I have never noticed any problem with healing from liposuction or Cellulaze by closing the incisions. I think patients appreciate not leaking for several days, until the incisions close by themselves.

Robert M. Lowen, MD
Mountain View Plastic Surgeon