Would lifting my kids (holding them/picking them up) be a problem after lipo ?

I have two kids and I can't afford to be down for too long but I really want lipo before summer begins. Will lipo restrict me from lifting or picking them up ?

Lifting children after liposuction

The weight of your children and the areas liposuctioned will have some bearing on the advisability of lifting your children.  In general, small children can be lifted within a few days after surgery for short times. Your plastic surgeon can provide you with specific information regarding your surgery and your children.

Danville Plastic Surgeon

Lifting after lipo

Recovery from this procedure will depend on the extent of suctioning and areas treated.  Heavy lifting should be avoided for the first few weeks.  Compression garments will help with swelling, but you will still be sore for the first 7-10 days.  When returning to lifting your children, be sure to use proper body mechanics by lifting with your legs and keep your arms close to your body, not outstretched.

Camille Cash, MD

In general, I think that the recovery period depends upon the areas liposuctioned and the amount liposuctioned.  One thing to avoid in the postoperative period is a fluid collection.   Sometimes lifting and increased activity can put you at a greater risk.

Post-Operative Liposuction

With any surgical procedure, Liposuction included, it is recommended to wait around 14 days post-op to do any heavy lifting (nothing over 5 lbs.).  Any strenuous activity can effect your results and prolong healing. You will wear a compression garment for at least 6 weeks.  Remember to always check with your surgeon to ensure you're cleared for any kind of physical activity.

Liposuction and Lifting Kids

My suggestion is to avoid heavy lifting for 7-14 days overhead.  However, with compresison and the right post operative care, if it is not harming you or hurting when you lift then you will likely have no issues with healing.  Best, Dr. Emer.

Recovery after liposuction

After liposuction surgery, I advise the patients to take one week off from work. You would need full time help with your children for that first week.  At that point we take out the stitches and the patients may return to work, but may not engage in any strenuous activity. At one month, the patients start low impact cardio. At two months they can engage in more strenuous physical activity. The compression garment is worn for at least 6 weeks.