Belly button infected? (photos)

Is my belly button infected? I went to the dr last week and he said it's fine, but it wasn't this red.

To see previous question, click here. 

Belly button infection?

There does seem to be some redness and inflammation. I think it would be best if you made an appointment to see your surgeon to be assessed in person. Always best to err on the side of caution. 

Kouros Azar

Thousand Oaks Plastic Surgeon

Bellybutton Necrosis

It does look like their may be some inflammatory process going on, it is difficult to tell from the photograph but you may be loosing some of the actual tissue, sometimes known as bellybutton necrosis. Make sure you see your plastic surgeon and with proper care it will most likely go on to heal quite well. Best of Luck. Dr. Kachenmeister. 

Robert M. Kachenmeister, MD

Erythema around belly button following abdominoplasty

It is difficult to tell by the photo but it appears that belly button may be struggling to receive the blood supply that it needs in order to appear pink and healthy. If there is "ischemia" the belly button can appear dark, dusky, blue or even black. This will cause some redness around the umbilicus but it is not necessarily infection. If you are using Neosporin or triple antibiotic ointment, I would use pure Bacitracin as many patients will develop an allergic reaction to the triple antibiotic ointment that looks like infection. As always if you have questions please discuss them with your surgeon who knows you best.

Bruce K. Smith, MD