Does Sculptra work and what are the odds it will make your face "grow its own collagen"?

I went to a well reviewed RN to get fillers between my brows and in some jowl lines. She convinced me to try sculptra. After one treatment which was very painful, I was astounded to see that I looked like a different person and my face was lifted and filled in. My question is whether to continue for two more treatments. After a few days the effect has dissipated. Or should I save the money and get a face and neck lift? I'm 60 and my neck is awful.

Will Sculptra make your face grow its own collagen

Sculptra triggers collagen growth only in the area where it is injected, in fact that is how the volume is achieved. It usually takes 2 to 3 injections over a 2-3 month period to get an effect since collagen growth takes time. If you like the look immediately after the injection, it is likely that you will be happy with it after the third injection. Sculptra does nothing for the neck so you may need a neck lift for that. It is very common for patients at your age to require a face and neck lift with concurrent fat grafting which is the alternative to fillers.

Fresno Oculoplastic Surgeon

Sculptra versus Surgery

Without a photo it is very difficult to assess the situation.  Sculptra is a fabulous product to build up the collagen in the face.  I use a great deal of Sculptra which patients are incredibly happy with and can avoid surgery.  The key is to consult an expert with facial injections for the best cosmetic results. Best, Dr. Green

Does Sculptra Work? Sculptra versus Facelift?

Sculptra is a unique volumizer that has been available for over a decade, and a product I have found great success with for cheek and temple rejuvenation. Its main ingredient, poly-L-lactic acid, stimulates a response in the body that will help to replace lost collagen where it is injected.

Because Sculptra is volumizing by stimulating the body’s own collagen versus volumizing through actual product such as hyaluronic acid, the effects do take time. The look you see in the first few days following treatment will not stay; the product will be absorbed by the surrounding tissue in order to take action. After a series of treatments, the resulting look is subtle and very natural, and may last patients up to two years when treated to full correction.

In terms of surgery, a facelift and injectables will address two different things. While surgery will improve skin laxity and provide a tightening effect, it will not address issues of volume loss. This is where product like Sculptra comes into play. I think you should continue with a few more sessions of Sculptra; you may find yourself satisfied with the amount of rejuvenation it provides, and leave invasive treatment for your neck. Be sure to consult with a board certified Dermatologist to discuss some of your treatment options. Best of luck!

Nissan Pilest, MD
Irvine Dermatologic Surgeon

Sculptra and Other Fillers for Facial Sculpting

I have been doing sculptra since 2007 and am one of the largest users of sculptra in the LA area and love the results. all my filler patient get sculptra as a base to keep the face lifted, contoured, and help prevent facial bone loss.  It also works in compliment to lasers and skin tightening to improve complexion and lifting.  This is not something you see immediately and is something you do to maintain your youth (its preventative!). I often combine with PRP at the same time for full facial sculpting. Best, Dr. Emer.

Sculptra results

Photos or an exam of you would be helpful to give you the best advice in regards to Sculptra and any possible face/neck lift.  Sculptra and a face/neck lift help with different issues.  Sculptra adds volume to the areas where it is injected.  It can take a month or so to see the results from a treatment.  A face/neck lift does not add volume but does address sagging skin.  Sometimes both adding volume with Sculptra and tightening the skin with surgery can give a better result than either method alone.  My advice to you would be to wait at least a month after your Sculptra treatment than re-evaluate your appearance to see if more Sculptra would be helpful or not.  The issue with the skin of your neck most likely will require surgery to obtain the most dramatic effect, but that could not be determined until after examining you or photos of you.  

Michael I. Echavez, MD
San Francisco Facial Plastic Surgeon