Should you not eat certain foods after breast augmentation?

I got my BA in Brazil every surgeon here says to not eat seafood or pork for a couple weeks after your surgery is there a reason for this? iv tried to research on foods not to eat after BA and nothing has come up and says you can eat what you want is this true or should I listen to my surgeon ? Also if you agree on not eating them foods what is the reasoning for it ?

Thank you for your question. Remember, it is best to be seen in person by a double-board-certified plastic surgeon for precise diagnosis and treatment.

Food restrictions after BA

Thank you for your question.  In short, no, there are no real restrictions dietary wise after breast augmentation surgery.  I tell my patients to avoid dental procedures, including teeth cleaning, for 6 weeks after surgery to reduce the theoretical risk of an implant infection, but no diet restrictions.  

Brian C. Reuben, MD
Salt Lake City Plastic Surgeon

Are there any dietary restrictions after breast augmentation?

Thanks for your question!  I don't have my patients on any special diet after breast augmentation.  In the very early recovery, I prefer patients eat light, easily digestible foods because anesthesia and narcotics can cause constipation and nausea.  That's it though.  Good luck!

Brian K. Reedy, MD
Reading Plastic Surgeon

Avoiding certain foods after surgery?

Thank you for question. There are no dietary restrictions after a beast augmentation. I am not sure why your surgeon told you to avoid seafood and pork. A well balanced diet is all I recommend for my patients.

No seafoof or pork after breast augmentation?

Thank you for asking about your breast augmentation.

I suspect that the concern is food poisoning - not that these foods are bad for surgical recovery. Many countries have very unreliable food management and contamination of food is common. If this is a concern, I strongly suggest that you also have no unpeeled fruit and no salads. They are a common cause of food poisoning abroad.

Best wishes. Elizabeth Morgan MD PHD FACS

Elizabeth Morgan, MD, PhD

Contamination is more likely in Brazil

Like the rest of my colleagues have already said, there is generally no food restriction after your surgery. However, you want to eat healthy, and make sure you do not do things that increase your chances for infection.

It is best to ask your surgeon for their exact reasons on why you should avoid seafood and pork, but the following is my guess.

IF you are currently recovering in Brazil, then you will know of the numerous reports of contaminated seafood and pork during the Olympics, etc. I could only find one study that looked into this issue ("Methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus in raw meats and prepared foods in public hospitals in salvador, Bahia, Brazil - Costa et al. 2015"). The study looked into the presence of MRSA (a bacteria) in raw and prepared foods in public hospitals in an area in northeastern Brazil, and they found that MRSA was positive in 37.5% of the raw pork samples, and in 30 % of the raw fish samples. When prepared, MRSA was positive in 6.7% pork products, and in 22.2% of fish products.

This study was specifically looking into effectiveness of hygienic practices within hospital kitchens, but the point was that bacterial contamination was more common among pork and fish products, compared to beef and chicken products. It may be likely that your surgeon wants to prevent an infection from occurring in the first few weeks in your recovery.

I cannot think of any other reason to put diet restrictions.

Hope this helps.

Martin Jugenburg, MD

Foods to avoid after BA

Hello 

I am not sure why those two food groups would be singled out so you are best off asking your Brazilian surgeon directly.  We don't have a diet restriction after breast augmentation for our patients. Best wishes.

Francisco Canales, MD
Santa Rosa Plastic Surgeon

Diet after breast augmentation

Thank you for your question. It is always adviseable to follow your operating surgeon's instructions and to discuss any concerns regarding your postoperative care/instructions with him or her. I encourage my surgical patients to maintain a high protein low salt diet, regardless of their operation. High protein so your body has the necessary building blocks to repair the surgical wounds created and low salt to help minimize postoperative edema (swelling).

Good luck.

Joseph Brown, MD

Foods to avoid?

Probably best to ask your operating surgeon why he or she recommends avoiding certain foods. Best to always follow your operating surgeons post op recs. Good luck!

Farah Naz Khan, MD

Are there foods I should avoid?

It is always best to follow your specific surgeons recommendations. Pork and seafood tend to have a high salt content which can increase swelling. Hope this helps.

Bryan Correa, MD