Is it normal to break out in the chest area after getting a breast augmentation? (Photo)

I'm almost 2 months post op and I've noticed tiny little bumps in my cleavage area. I'll pop them and it leaves dark blimish on my chest area. How can I get this to stop? I've never had this problem before

Is it Normal to Break Out in the Chest

HEALING AFTER BREAST SURGERY, AUGMENTATION, LIFTS

1.    pain is variable

2.    it takes 2-3 months for implants to settle and muscles to relax

3.    celebrex, motrin, and muscle relaxers can help

4.    massage and stretching may help

5.    everyone heals differently

6.    4-7 days off from work is common

HEALING OF SENSORY NERVES: Tingling, burning or shooting pains, which will disappear with time and should not alarm you, indicate regeneration of the sensory nerves. If these sensations cause pain, repeated, local self-massage helps.

ASYMMETRY: The two breasts commonly heal quite differently. One breast may swell more, feel more uncomfortable, or have a different initial shape. After complete healing, they will be more similar and natural. You must have patience, but if this causes concern, ask questions of the doctor or the nursing staff.

SHAPE AND CONTOUR: The final shape of your breasts will start to look its best approximately three (3) months after surgery. It takes time for the skin and muscle to stretch and relax around the new implant. The breast will often look higher, firmer, and “less natural” in the first three (3) months. It can take up to a year to see your final result.

FOLLOW-UP EXAMS: These are generally done in 1 week, 2 to 3 weeks, 3 to 6 weeks, 3 months, 6 months to 1 year, and 1-2 year intervals. In our office we include all of your follow up appointments in the initial surgical fee.

Break outs

It is not likely your augmentation is the cause unless your breasts are touching in the midline but based on your photos it doesn't appear that they would. 

Lee E. Corbett, MD

Blemish on chest after BA

The area that is highlighted in the photo is technically outside of the surgical field (i.e., the tissue in that area is neither manipulated on the outside (meaning it is not incised), nor is it undermined or exposed during the surgery. Thus I think it is unlikely related to the surgery itself. However, are you using a compression garment or some type of compressive dressing in that area? Or perhaps you are reacting to the skin prep used during surgery, or surgical tape?

Very rarely, skin lesions around a surgical area can be the result of atypical infections or autoimmune processes. However, these processes evolve over the course of weeks and months, not days.  You can try a water-based moisturizer, benadryl or hydrocortisone cream on the affected area. If it does not improve over the next week, I recommend evaluation by a physician in person.

Jon Ver Halen, MD
Southlake Plastic Surgeon

Thank you for sharing your question and photographs.  As a result of the skin stretch with an augmentation breakouts can occur due to dry skin and clogged pores.  This will pass as your breast tissues relax and return to normal.  I would avoid popping these areas as the dark spots are likely post inflammatory hyper pigmentation which takes months to improve.  Best wishes. 

Rash after breast augmentation

It is always important to follow up with your surgeon for a formal evaluation to ensure all is well.  Rash can be caused by several things such as a contact dermatits, the bra being used, or medications.  Good luck to you. 

Gaurav Bharti, MD, FACS
Charlotte Plastic Surgeon

Rash After Augmentation

Thank you for you question. The rash is likely due to the garment. Other culprits include the prep, and adhesives but it is likely the garment. This should resolve, but I would discuss with your surgeon. I would strongly advise against picking or " popping" them. The open area could get infected and any bacterial contamination with an implant in place is bad news. 

Stephen M. Becker, MD
Knoxville Plastic Surgeon

Is this normal?

You may be having a contact dermatitis reaction to the surgical garment or perhaps a cleanser. I would have your surgeon take a look and perform a physical exam. Good luck

Bryan Correa, MD

Breast augmentation

Hello and thank you for your question. It is unclear what may be causing these dark spots. It is likely not related to your augmentation but I would suggest a followup with your primary care physician to have them evaluated. 

Theo Nyame 

Theodore Nyame, MD
Charlotte Physician

Is it normal to break out in the chest area after getting a breast augmentation?

Thank you for your question. Remember, it is best to be seen in person by a double-board-certified plastic surgeon for precise diagnosis and treatment.

Moneer Jaibaji, MD

2 m

Thanks for the question. In my practice, after performing a BA I recommend to my patients to limit the movement of the arms for two weeks. After that, you can move your arms taking care and always with common sense. 
In this regard, it's not advisable to carry heavy weights to prevent the implant out of position, and allow the formation of the physiological capsule around the implant, also to avoid pain and breast swelling. Kind regards

Emmanuel Mallol Cotes, MD