Bumped nose after septoplasty/rhinoplasty 3 days ago? (Photo)

After breaking my nose I had a septoplasty/rhinoplasty 3 days ago. My surgeon took my splint off early b/c he needed to leave on vacation. He said it looked good & to follow up in 5 weeks. Today, while holding a friend's toddler, he threw his head back/accidentally popped my nose on the end. it hurt & bled for a while then stopped. Is it likely that the results are compromised? Is there anything I can do to help mitigate the damage/situation?

Bumped nose after rhinoplasty

Typically the nose splint is left on for a week to aid with structure and support after surgery. After this I will recommend placing steri-stips to help compress the swelling for a couple days thereafter. Since you are three days post-surgery, the nose is still healing and fragile. I would contact the office from which you had the procedure to see if they would recommend anything additional. 

Washington DC Facial Plastic Surgeon

Trauma after a rhinoplasty

Unfortunately, it is difficult to say whether something was damaged or structurally altered at this point.  You still have a lot of swelling the first week after surgery and it'll be difficult to tell until all the swelling goes down.  I would recommend that you contact your surgeon and discuss what happened.  

Sunny Park, MD, MPH
Newport Beach Facial Plastic Surgeon

Someone Needs To Look At Your Nose In the Next Few Days

I'm not quite sure what to say.  Typically we leave the splint on following a rhinoplasty for at least a week for very specific reasons.  One of those reasons is that the nose is still so movable after several days that if it does get hit, the nose could move in a way that we don't want it to. Given that it still so early following your procedure it may be possible to move things back to where they need to be if it is done in the next day or two.  I would give your surgeons office a call.  If he is still gone on vacation, he should have somebody covering him that hopefully could help you. Good luck.

Michael R. Menachof, MD
Greenwood Village Facial Plastic Surgeon