Can Ultherapy be used successfully on the abdomen/stomach? (photos)

I am skinny/fit with slight loose skin (when I bend) from birthing 2 babies. It is simply not enough damage to undergo the knife. Can Ultherapy treatments offer the skin tightening I need? Approximately how "many" would I need and the cost of each?

Ultherapy for Loose Abdominal Skin

Thanks for your question Gems. Ultherapy can be used to treat loose abdominal skin. However, this is an "off-label" treatment. Candidate selection is crucial as is the acceptance of the fact that multiple treatments will be required to achieve adequate results. This can end up being costly for some people, but it remains an option for those who absolutely do not want to have surgery. It is important to get a consultation from a surgeon who can determine whether Ultherapy would be an option for you or if you would be better off with a tummy tuck. Hope this helps answer your question!

Sherman Oaks General Surgeon

The answer is yes.Ultherapy has been a reliable tool in my practice since about 2011 for woman just like yourself.Ultherapy does a wonderful job of qualitative skin resurfacing as well as tightening laxity.A recent case of a very thin skinned woman whose skin sagged to the ground when doing yoga took one year for her skin to tighten, however, she now no longer sags when doing yoga and her skin feels more firm and tight to the touch. In other words, be patient and if you are(were) a good candidate your result will come.
Your standing view differs from the slight bending view in that you wrinkle when flexed because of your loss of elasticity, therefore Profound MAY be a better option for your particular case. Profound is another well researched scientifically vetted device in my practice.
Please note that you appear to have diastasis recti. This will get worse over time of not repaired. It can be accomplished through a very small(C/S type incision) in the bikini line along with skin rejuvenation.
Hope this helps.

Andrew Kornstein, MD, FACS

Mommy makeover or smoothing the wrinkly belly button

In the past, we would offer women limited "umbilicoplasty" = cutting out and redraping the wrinkly upper umbilical skin.  However patients and I quickly realized that surgery didn't really accomplish their aesthetic ideals.  You are like so many of my "fit" mothers, whose post-pregnancy abdomens don't have excess fat, wide splay of the rectus muscles, relatively good quality skin (i.e. not too much, not many, if any stretch marks), who I routinely "talk out" of choosing tummy tucks.  You've got to consider whether the down time, cost, risk, etc. is matched by the improvement.  My patients and I have been satisfied with Ultherapy results on face, neck & chest, however not well served, off face.  Today, I watched Dr. Brian Kinney discuss the merits of Thermi-RF, which may emerge as a good alternative.  You might consider visiting Dr. Sabina Fabi's in La Jolla, as I think she's up and running with both platforms. Good luck.

Lavinia K. Chong, MD

Ultherapy For The Body

Ultherapy has been used almost everywhere on the body – so treating the abdomen does not seem to be a problem. It is not FDA approved to use here, but surely can be done if you so choose. I would strongly recommend that you have a consultation with a board-certified dermatologist or plastic surgeon to learn all of the potential non-invasive treatments that are now available for tightening the abdomen – including the various radiofrequency (RF) devices that are now available – including the Alma Accent, the EndyMed 3Deep, the Venus Legacy, and others that use RF energy to help tighten the skin.

Many options exist for you – learn which will be best for you and tighten your abdomen.

Michael Gold, MD
Nashville Dermatologic Surgeon

Ultherapy on the Abdomen/Stomach

Ultherapy is not FDA approved for treatment on the abdomen. Ultherapy is only indicated for the brow, neck and decolletage. However certain physicians may be treating additional areas. Please consult with your physician.

Usha Rajagopal, MD

Ultrashape and Velashape - Buffalo Niagara, NY

Ultherapy is the only FDA cleared procedure to non invasively lift the eyebrow, neck and under chin. It has also been approved to improve decolletage lines and wrinkles around the eyes.

Use of Ultherapy on abdominal skin would be an 'off label' use and frankly I don't think it will help your problem. 

Ultrashape and Velashape may help you as well as Thermage.

An in person consultation with someone who can objectively treat this surgically or non surgically will be the option for you. 

Loose skin of the abdomen can respond in our NYC practice with ThermiTight, Ultherapy, Thermage, Velashape, and Pelleve

Fine lines of inelasticity can be improved with Ultherapy on the abdomen or Thermage, or the new, in between or the non-invasive ThermiTight radiofrequency.  

Ronald Shelton, MD
Manhattan Dermatologic Surgeon

Ultherapy for the Abdomen?

Ultherapy is FDA-Approved to non-surgically tighten skin on the face, neck, chin, and chest. It is not currently indicated to treat the abdomen area. There are other non-surgical treatments that are more suitable to tightening skin on the abdomen, such as Thermage and Exilis. Ask your doctor which treatment would give you the results you are looking for.

Karen Beasley, MD
Baltimore Dermatologic Surgeon

Ultherapy will provide only a modest improvement in skin tightening .  If there are significant stretch marks and loss of elasticity a tummy tuck would be more appropriate.

Ultherapy and Stomach

Ultherapy can be used on the stomach but honestly it is not that effective and will not give you the results you are looking for.  You want a consult with someone who does both surgical and nonsurgical procedures to give you the best opinion on treatment.  You may be able to do something like ultrashap and velashape without any surgery.  An in person consultation is needed.  Best, Dr. Emer.