Still sweat on my right armpit after level 5 treatment?

Hello, So I got the MiraDry treatment on level 5 and my Doctor said I only need to get one treatment since it's the highest level but after 3 days my right armpit got sweat(not as much as before) when it was hot. I wonder if she missed the spot or what caused it? And what should I do? It won't be fair if I have to pay $1800 again to be treated for the missing spot?!. I would love to hear your advice. Thank you!

Still sweating?

Thanks for this important question. One treatment of MiraDry will reduce 80% of the sweat and smell from the underarm. It also reduces 70% of the hair regardless of color. Some patients need an additional treatment to get drier. You should return to your treating physician and discuss your concerns. They can perform a starch-iodine test and see where your sweating from as well. Second treatments are usually done at a 50% rate, but it may vary from doctor tor doctor. Best, Dr. ALDO

MiraDry Results

Hi and thank you for your question!

Always best to first follow up with your physican with questions and concerns. I can tell you that we ask all of our patients to wait 3 months in between treatments, so you can fully assess your result during that time. When we first started doing level 5 on patients, we thought most patients would need only one. However, what we've seen is that there are still some patients that need the 2nd treatment and in a rare case even a 3rd. There is a theory that in some areas the glands may be deeper than others and that could be why some areas are more resistant. Miradry is definitely the best and most permanent non-surgical option for controlling sweat and odor. I had the procedure and no longer need deodorant!.

Dr. Grant Stevens

Grant Stevens, MD

MiraDry for excessive sweating

We were one of the first offices in the United States to offer miraDry and have been treating patients suffering from hyperhidrosis and bothersome sweat and odor since 2011. We customize energy levels based on patient need, however we prepare everyone for the possibility of a two treatment protocol for best results.  Not all require it, but at least 40% do. Be vigilant with your after care and follow up appointments with your chosen physician. They will be best able to help you decide what your next steps should be for best results. Good luck with everything! 

Carolyn Jacob, MD
Chicago Dermatologic Surgeon

MiraDry Results

Considered a one-to- two treatment protocol, Miradry is a quick, in-office treatment providing immediate and permanent sweat and odor elimination with minimal to no downtime. Most patients have 50% reduction in sweat and odor after the first treatment, and another 30% reduction in a 2nd treatment, which can be performed 1-2 months later. Treatments will always be individually customized. Patients with moderate sweating typically need one treatment. Patients with severe sweating typically need two treatments to achieve optimal results. Few patients with severe sweating desire a third treatment.

I do think it is a little early so I would advise you wait a few months before making a decision on having the next treatment.  It is important to always consult with your doctor who preformed the procedure.  Good Luck!

Laurie A. Casas, MD, FACS

Permanent sweat reduction with miraDry may require more than one treatment.

Many patients get great results with one #miraDry (also known as #miraSmooth) treatment but it is not unusual to do a second and occasionally a third treatment for full result. It does seem that using the highest setting of 5 gives better results with one treatment.  We generally see marked decrease in sweat immediately but assess at 3 months if the patient desires a second treatment.  It is very helpful for the doctor to do a "starch iodide" test ( a simple technique of applying iodide and cornstarch) to identify any small area of increased sweat and direct the second treatment to that area rather than the entire armpit.

Susan Van Dyke, MD
Paradise Valley Dermatologic Surgeon

Sweat after level 5 treatment

A week post treatment is still very early. It is best to wait at least a month to allow the body time to heal. Level 5 is typically a great treatment and most people will only need one treatment done on this setting.

Joshua L. Fox, MD
Long Island Dermatologic Surgeon

Miradry results.

It has only been 3 days, I would wait a month to see how everything heals and if you indeed still have sweating in that area. One session at a level 5 is adequate for the majority of patients, but I have had to provide a second session for a handful of my most aggressively sweating patients. If you do still have sweating it is not highly unusual to require a second treatment, and it is great that the office you went to is performing treatments at Level 5 because this gives you the best chance of a great outcome. Best of luck.

- Dr. P

Kaleroy Papantoniou, MD, FAAD
Great Neck Dermatologic Surgeon

MiraDry at Center for Excessive Sweating in Williamsville, NY - A Platinum Plus Level Provider

The right underarm sweats more than the left, typically, in most cases.

In our practice, 90% of our patients require a SINGLE miraDry procedure. 

The difference is that we use level 5 on almost EVERY patient, and we do a thorough job, going over the entire area not once, but 2.5 times !  This saves you over 50% and avoids a second procedure in 90% of cases.

We have done a third procedure in only 3 patients. These patients came from other practices in the U.S.

As such, we charge $1500 per treatment. 

If you want to come to our practice, you should and use the $300 to buy your ticket on SouthWest Airlines ! 

Our office is in Williamsville, NY, 10 minutes from Niagara Falls, NY.

We are a Platinum Plus Level Provider for miraDry.

Dr H Karamanoukian
USC 1990