For a lateral brow lift: Is the brow pulled up, or sideways? (photos)

I hope my question makes sense -- for a lateral brow lift, are the outer parts of the brows lifted up, or are they pulled sideways? I added a photo to show what I mean. Basically, are the brows pulled horizontally or vertically (or somewhere in between)? Also, do patients have a choice which way the brow is pulled? Any information is appreciated. Thanks in advance!

Direction of brown lift pull

The  direction of pull for a brow lift is determined with a combination of the patients goals and the patients anatomy. Sometimes this direction is strictly vertical or strictly lateral ,but most common is a hybrid of these vectors of pull.

Please make sure to consult with a BOARD-CERTIFIED Plastic Surgeon who will give you the best recommendation based on the above considerations.

Cleveland Plastic Surgeon

Brow Lift

In youthful, aesthetically appealing eyebrows the central and lateral portions of the eyebrows lie at a higher level than the medial or inner portions of the eyebrows. The direction of the brow lift is most commonly vertical or oblique (somewhere in between vertical and horizontal). Please consult with an experienced plastic surgeon who can demonstrate the different directions of pull to see what appeals to you.

David S. Motoki, MD
Draper Plastic Surgeon

Pull Brow Laterally or Up for Lateral "Brow Lift"

You ask an excellent question, which is frequently asked by surgeons learning the procedure. Why would one pull laterally to "lift" the brow. Of coarse you lift up to lift the brow; pull laterally if you want to lengthen the brow. Consider The Irregular Trichophytc Hairline Incision Technique that we described many years ago so a patient can maintain or improve the hairline position.

eyebrow lift procedure

In our practice we do not perform a lateral eyebrow lift for a variety of reasons. When patients have low eyebrows, a brow lift or forehead lift is performed to raise the entire forehead complex. This involves raising or lowering the hairline, adjusting the frontalis and corrugator muscles of the forehead, raising low eyebrows, adjusting asymmetries of the eyebrows, and addressing dermal atrophy between the eyebrows with fascia grafting. For more information and many examples of brow lifts, please see the link and the video below

Direction of pull with a lateral brow lift

Generally the tails of the brow are pulled upward during a lateral brow lift.  A lateral pull is often associated with alteration of the hairline and a 'done' appearance.  Nevertheless, every patient is different and the many available brow lift techniques can produce different results.

The degree to which the brow is elevated also differs greatly from surgeon to surgeon.  Consultations with several well qualified surgeons will help you decide which procedure-- and more importantly which surgeon-- is right for you.

Brent Moelleken, MD

For a lateral brow lift: Is the brow pulled up, or sideways?

I am amongst the group who does not perform "lateral or temporal browlifts."  The reason is I have seen several patients who underwent the procedure elsewhere and were disappointed by either the scarring or the lack of a natural look.  Others of course will disagree but my recommendation is for patients who can benefit from brow elevation to consider a prehairline browlift with an irregularly irregular incision placed in front of the hairline and extending down the temples.  In my experience this has given the vast majority of patients a permanent and natural improvement in their brows.

Meet with several board-certified plastic surgeons to get different opinions and discuss options and review photos of other patients before making your decision. Best wishes,

Jon A Perlman M.D., FACS
Diplomate, American Board of Plastic Surgery
Member, American Society for Aesthetic Plastic Surgery (ASAPS)
ABC-TV Extreme Makeover Surgeon
Beverly Hills, California

Jon A. Perlman, MD

Lateral brow technique

The lateral brow should be lifted mostly up with some lateral pull as well. There are different brow lift techniques available. I recently published on a minimally invasive technique under local anesthesia. You can find the link to the manuscript below.

Mehryar (Ray) Taban, MD, FACS
Beverly Hills Oculoplastic Surgeon

Lateral brow lift pull?

You get an A plus for being smart. Lateral brow lift pulls only slightly up and mostly sideways. That can often make a patient look evil as seen in many actresses.We developed the Irregular Trichophytic Forehead Lift 35 years ago which gives a vertical pull and does NOT raise the hairline. Hair grows thru the scar so no scar is seen. With this technique one can shape the brow at the same time. See a surgeon who does this technique andean show u the final hairline.

Lateral brow lift

A lateral brow lift will lift or elevate the lateral brow.  Having said that, there is a little lateral pull to make it look good.  The goal is to lift and provide a natural appearing lift that transitions nicely with the surrounding areas.

George Orloff, MD, FACS
Burbank Plastic Surgeon

Lateral brow lift: direction of pull

Lateral brow lift is procedure to change the position of the part of your eyebrow that is closer to your ear, without changing the area closest to your nose. 

The direction of pull (or vector) is more vertical than horizontal as this is lifting procedure. That being said, each patient is different, so the direction and amount of pull is tailored to the patient. I would recommend a consultation so the surgeon can ask you questions, examine your face, and take photographs. I like to use 3D computer simulation, so my patient and I can get on the same page regarding their goals. We can then discuss treatment options appropriate for your face for a safe and happy outcome. Safety comes first.

Victor Chung, MD
San Diego Facial Plastic Surgeon