How to improve scar tissue from breastfeeding? (photos)

6 months after my BA surgery I found out I was pregnant. Since weaning after 1 yr, I've noticed that my left boob has less volume underneath and along my incision feels bubbly. When I run my finger along the inner corner, it feels like a raised vein (squishy). I suspect this is scar tissue? I'm incredibly discouraged as I do plan on having another child. What are my options in improving this? Will it continue to get worse? Will a revision fix it or will it just make for more scar tissue?

Check in with your plastic surgeon.

The changes you’re describing could be scar tissue but it's worth checking in with your plastic surgeon. Your breasts may simply feel different after breastfeeding because your natural tissue and skin have become thinner and less elastic, allowing you to feel the edge of your breast implants. Every pregnancy will have an effect on your breasts, so if you plan to have more children, you may want to hold off on the idea of revision surgery until after you've completed your family.

Post op breast augmentation and pregnancy

Pregnancy will definitely change the shape of your breasts. What you may be feeling is the implant itself and nothing more. However, you should consult your plastic surgeon. Also I would suggest waiting until you are done having children to have any revisions.

Susan Kaweski, MD

What you are feeling may very well be something other than simply "scar tissue"

First things first, congratulations on the birth of your new child!  Although they change your body in many ways that you may not have anticipated (or liked!), they change our lives in so many more ways that make it all worthwhile.As far as your breast goes, it will be difficult to tell precisely what is going on without a physical exam, but a couple of thoughts come to mind.  As you are probably aware, breast feeding changes the breast tissue in many ways, and it can also change the capsule, or the thin scar tissue envelope that surrounds breast implants as well.  In some instances, the breast tissue becomes thinner and more lax, and this makes it possible to feel every fold and ripple in the surface of the rubber shell of the breast implant.  This often feels "squishy," or "bubbly," and sometimes a fold can even create a protrusion that can be seen or felt through the skin.  In other instances, the scar tissue capsule can contract (called "capsular contracture" or "capsule contracture"), and if this happens the implant can become firm, it make develop folds or contour changes, and it may change the shape of the breast.  None of these things are dangerous or put your health in jeopardy, but they can change the look or the feel of the breast, and it is usually for these reasons that we do anything about it.If you still plan to have more children and breastfeed, you may want to factor these things into your decision, as future pregnancies, with our without breastfeeding, may leave similar results if you do anything now to change your breasts.  The best thing to do is schedule a visit with your surgeon to evaluate exactly what is going on with the breast.  If your surgeon is not available, another board certified plastic who has a lot of experience with breast surgery can evaluate you and probably tell you what is going on.  That way you will understand what you are seeing and feeling in your breast and be much better equipped to make decisions about what, if anything, you need or want to do, and when you should do it.  Best of luck.

Post Childbirth Breast Changes

Thank you for your question. I recommend that you visit with your Plastic Surgeon so that they can examine you in person and provide feedback.
All the best